Depression

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
befriend

Re: Depression

Postby befriend » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 pm

if you are depressed because of low self esteem. i dont know if thats the reason. but if it is. buddhism will most likely end depression related to low self esteem. as i suffered from depression from low self worth for a few years, found buddhism and now im fine. i actually dropped out of college because i could not talk in front of a classroom of like 12 people. now i sing open mic nights, show others how to meditate in front of people, and public speaking is my main passion in life. thanks to buddhism. i hope you get well. karuna. befriend.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

fragrant herbs

Postby fragrant herbs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 pm

fragrant herbs

Postby fragrant herbs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:53 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:56 pm

great point. if you have like a ingrained belief that you are a worthless person, why would jogging cure depression.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

manas

Postby manas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:36 pm

I struggle with depression on and off. This is going to sound odd, but sometimes the best way to stir myself up to action (my depression manifests as inertia, dullness, sadness etc) is to contemplate how tenous our lives are here. Not just any day but any moment, we could die: accident, illness, or violence... it happens. If we are lucky, we get to grow really old, and gradually fade away. But however we end up going, go we will. Sometimes I reflect on this body that I hold so dear, (imagining it) as lying dead on the floor...how sad, but it's going to happen one day, it is unavoidable...am I ready? How can I live my life today so as to be prepared to die with a calm and unconfused mind, when that day comes?

Practice, practice, practice!

:namaste:

:heart:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:23 am

The problem is that "depression" is not a singular thing. The causes and manifestations are wildly various as are the possible treatmnent solutions -- that is, assuming that one's depression is ameanable to treatment.

The problem that I have with some of the the above is the wishful thinking and hope for perfection that goes with the unstated magical thinking that it can all be resolved one's "enlightenment" -- ah, my depression will go away if I practice Buddhism and become enlightened.

For some, depression is a fact of life with which they have to cope, have to struggle, until they die. Can Dhamma practice help with that? Probably, but it is may not make it go away, and in some instances it certainly will not. So, the question is, what is one looking for in terms of Dhamma practice vis a vis depression (or any other mental illness)?

manas

Postby manas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 am

For my anxiety, there was a quick and effective fix. Citalopram 30mg ed. Panic attacks are a thing of the past.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

manas

Postby manas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:53 am

A strong, organically grown Chamomile tea does much to soothe my nervousness, I've found. (Not the teabag type, but the (dried) whole flowers, properly steeped for about 5 - 10 minutes ... it's the calcium content that does the calming, they say.)

8-)

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 pm

MoesTavern

Postby MoesTavern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm

And here is a tip from far off Scandinavia: spending a couple of hours a week in a sauna, mixed with ice-cold showers (or rolling naked in snow if you have access to it), is in my experience helpful in battling The Black Dog.

metta metta

:anjali:

thomasmite996

Postby thomasmite996 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 am

Nice information about this topic. All the forum member posted valuable knowledge.
depression destroy the person's intention and its capability.
You need to involve him self in working and spend time with some one who easily understanding your problems,
Take a tour on beautiful place. it help to reduce depression.
Don't take work as over burden...

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”