How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

Postby Lazy_eye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 am

E. as well. Generally I avoid alcohol but will sometimes have a glass of wine at family gatherings or drink beer at business/social functions. Although I use the precept as a guideline, I don't claim to be "observing" it at this point.

Was at a family gathering today where wine and beer were served, along with Stewart's Root Beer! I chose the root beer. :)
Lazy_eye

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:13 am

After my first retreat I had no desire to do anything to mess up the clarity of my mind (not that it's super-clear, mind you! :)). So I don't drink at all, but I wouldn't get upset by food cooked with alcohol - it mostly evaporates anyway.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:49 am

mikenz66 wrote:After my first retreat I had no desire to do anything to mess up the clarity of my mind (not that it's super-clear, mind you! :)). So I don't drink at all, but I wouldn't get upset by food cooked with alcohol - it mostly evaporates anyway.

Mike

The demographic is heavily single men of college age in another web board I read. A number of them have posted about the use of intoxicants ( mostly pot ) as it relates to meditation. I know new meditators don't have the same experiences as people who have been doing it for a while, but when I think about those posts and the wonderful feelings I get from meditation I can't see even wanting an intoxicant.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby SeekingDharma » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 pm

It's quite fitting that this is labeled "F" :lol:

F. Do entertain drinks in social gathering, and occasionally drink at home too

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of work to do with this one. I don't have any overuse concerns as it relates to my cultural background, but it's something that is on my radar as needing change. I think one of my biggest struggles is making the jump to avoiding alcohol. I need to begin limitting it, but it will/would be an odd transition for most friends and family members if I were to fully abandon the use of alcohol. I know they would be supportive, though. :)
SeekingDharma

Postby PeterB » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:56 pm

:toast:
PeterB

Postby effort » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:59 pm

not at all, because if i start even with little, stopping would be hard, so for years nothing ... even in gatherings.
effort

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:26 am

For me, it is an A. I do not cook, so if there is alcohol cooked in my food, I will not refuse it.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Wizard in the Forest

Postby manas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:53 pm

I recently had to join in on a toast to a departed relative. I asked for a 'splash' of the wine in a tiny glass. I raised that glass and sipped about quarter of a standard teaspoon in. Apart from when in medicines, that's the most alcohol I would ever knowingly consume in a year.

As for other mind-clouding drugs, also wouldn't go there. Weed really undermines samma-sati, as I recall. Once, I used to think it enhanced meditation. Now, I know that it only appeared to; to the deluded mind at that time, it appeared to deepen meditation, but actually, it hindered it.

I adore coffee though...luckily caffeine is the one 'drug' we Buddhists are allowed to consume - and I enjoy the best. :jumping:
manas

Postby Sanghamitta » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:42 pm

At lunch time on a hot afternoon I just drank a pint of delicious cool beer brewed in a small village near to where we live.
It was refreshing and tasty and did not cloud my consciousness AT ALL . Yum. A second pint, or even half pint might have...so I didnt drink one.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:46 pm

:stirthepot:

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Sanghamitta » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.

I didn't mean to suggest it was intentional. Its just a bit of a controversial statement to make on a Buddhist forum especially when you emphasize the "AT ALL". I just assumed that there would be some strong opinions on the matter forthcoming.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Sanghamitta » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

People are of course most welcome to their strong opinions on THEIR interpretation of the precept.
I reached my own working view some decades ago.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby farmer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Option A for a little over a year.

I was a apprehensive about how this would work out socially, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the world is pretty accommodating to non-drinkers.

The thing that keeps me going with the precepts is a positive sort of peer pressure. I want to live up to the standard set by the teachers I admire. Keeping the five precepts helps me feel that I am a member of a global community of practitioners, even when I am surrounded by non-Buddhists (which is 99% of the time).
farmer

Postby cooran » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Hello all,

FYI - a previous thread on the 5th Precept:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby octathlon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Lucky for me I don't care for alcohol so I was "observing" this precept even before I had heard of it, except for a few occasions. I did indulge in another intoxicant for quite a while but gave that one up many years ago. I consider myself very fortunate that I don't crave alcohol, as I have seen how difficult it is to deal with for those who have issues with it. May all beings be free from the suffering caused by alcohol.
octathlon

Postby danieLion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:59 am

A
danieLion

Postby Thales » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 pm

F. I find that having a few drinks, when alone and in a quiet setting, allows me to eliminate excess mental commentary and "just experience." It is particularly pleasant when watching movies, listening to music, and reading poetry. I typically do this a few times a year. Aside from that I will also drink socially, but never more than 1 or 2.
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
Thales

Postby Jason » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 am

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Postby Maitri » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:18 am

A. Not even a sip of alcohol, but allow it to be used as supplementary ingredient in cooking

I don't like alcohol at all, so it is easy for me. Nothing I hate more than being sick and/or feeling dizzy! :toilet: But, I've had some great meals with a wine sauce.

Smoked pot for a bit in college, but got bored of it and have not used it for some years now.
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

PreviousNext

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness