How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Lazy_eye

Re: How Insistent Are You in Observing Your Fifth Precept?

Post by Lazy_eye »

E. as well. Generally I avoid alcohol but will sometimes have a glass of wine at family gatherings or drink beer at business/social functions. Although I use the precept as a guideline, I don't claim to be "observing" it at this point.

Was at a family gathering today where wine and beer were served, along with Stewart's Root Beer! I chose the root beer. :)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

After my first retreat I had no desire to do anything to mess up the clarity of my mind (not that it's super-clear, mind you! :)). So I don't drink at all, but I wouldn't get upset by food cooked with alcohol - it mostly evaporates anyway.

:anjali:
Mike
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

mikenz66 wrote:After my first retreat I had no desire to do anything to mess up the clarity of my mind (not that it's super-clear, mind you! :)). So I don't drink at all, but I wouldn't get upset by food cooked with alcohol - it mostly evaporates anyway.

Mike
The demographic is heavily single men of college age in another web board I read. A number of them have posted about the use of intoxicants ( mostly pot ) as it relates to meditation. I know new meditators don't have the same experiences as people who have been doing it for a while, but when I think about those posts and the wonderful feelings I get from meditation I can't see even wanting an intoxicant.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
SeekingDharma

Post by SeekingDharma »

It's quite fitting that this is labeled "F" :lol:

F. Do entertain drinks in social gathering, and occasionally drink at home too

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of work to do with this one. I don't have any overuse concerns as it relates to my cultural background, but it's something that is on my radar as needing change. I think one of my biggest struggles is making the jump to avoiding alcohol. I need to begin limitting it, but it will/would be an odd transition for most friends and family members if I were to fully abandon the use of alcohol. I know they would be supportive, though. :)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:toast:
effort

Post by effort »

not at all, because if i start even with little, stopping would be hard, so for years nothing ... even in gatherings.
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

For me, it is an A. I do not cook, so if there is alcohol cooked in my food, I will not refuse it.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
manas

Post by manas »

I recently had to join in on a toast to a departed relative. I asked for a 'splash' of the wine in a tiny glass. I raised that glass and sipped about quarter of a standard teaspoon in. Apart from when in medicines, that's the most alcohol I would ever knowingly consume in a year.

As for other mind-clouding drugs, also wouldn't go there. Weed really undermines samma-sati, as I recall. Once, I used to think it enhanced meditation. Now, I know that it only appeared to; to the deluded mind at that time, it appeared to deepen meditation, but actually, it hindered it.

I adore coffee though...luckily caffeine is the one 'drug' we Buddhists are allowed to consume - and I enjoy the best. :jumping:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

At lunch time on a hot afternoon I just drank a pint of delicious cool beer brewed in a small village near to where we live.
It was refreshing and tasty and did not cloud my consciousness AT ALL . Yum. A second pint, or even half pint might have...so I didnt drink one.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
bodom

Post by bodom »

:stirthepot:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.

Bhikku Bodhi.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Sanghamitta wrote:Not an intentional :stirthepot: Bodom. Just a fact. We have a range of responses to alcohol. For those with a problem or for those who become heedless its a no-no.
I can and probably will go weeks before another pint or glass of wine.
My monk mentor knows. He has not suggested drumming me out of the Temple.
I didn't mean to suggest it was intentional. Its just a bit of a controversial statement to make on a Buddhist forum especially when you emphasize the "AT ALL". I just assumed that there would be some strong opinions on the matter forthcoming.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

People are of course most welcome to their strong opinions on THEIR interpretation of the precept.
I reached my own working view some decades ago.

Bhikku Bodhi.
farmer

Post by farmer »

Option A for a little over a year.

I was a apprehensive about how this would work out socially, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the world is pretty accommodating to non-drinkers.

The thing that keeps me going with the precepts is a positive sort of peer pressure. I want to live up to the standard set by the teachers I admire. Keeping the five precepts helps me feel that I am a member of a global community of practitioners, even when I am surrounded by non-Buddhists (which is 99% of the time).
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

FYI - a previous thread on the 5th Precept:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---