Weekend retreat

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Weekend retreat

Postby greggorious » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:13 pm

In a month's time I'm going on a weekend retreat with a Thai forest group. I'm looking forward to it yet a little nervous too. Firstly the thought of not eating anything after midday is scary, I may practice it a few times before I go there. Also for breakfast they serve Gruel, I've never had it before but thought of it makes my stomach turn. Finally I have gout on my left ankle and find sitting in a cross legged position very difficult. When I practised Zen I'd sit in the Burmese position and they'd supply me with a small cushion to rest my ankle on. Do they accommodate people like this in Theravada?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Re: Weekend retreat

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi greggorious,

Not eating after midday sounds hard, but you can still drink fluids, and since you're not chopping wood or something else physical it's not as difficult as it sounds.

And I'm sure they will help you sit comfortably with whatever you need. Ajahn Tiraddhammo (an Ajahn Chah student who currently resides in New Zealand) warns about doing dumb stuff that will wreck your knees, and often just uses a chair...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness