t shirts

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.

t shirts

Postby befriend » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha
befriend

Re: t shirts

Postby Doshin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

befriend wrote:would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

If you where not in doubt, would you ask ?

If you are in doubt, why are you in doubt ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
Doshin

Postby Maitri » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Doshin wrote:
befriend wrote:would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

If you where not in doubt, would you ask ?

If you are in doubt, why are you in doubt ?

Sorry, but I don't find responses like this to be very helpful to the question at hand. I think the OP was looking for dialogue, not pseudo Zen quips.

Concerning the OP:

would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

I don't think so. If you design a graphic tee with a quote from the Buddha and there is no comment about what another person should do, then I think it's fine. I've seen shirts with images like, "Know Jesus Know Peace, No Jesus No Peace" and "Where's Darwin Now?" with flames around it; that's a method of proselytizing as they are challenging statements to the viewer. Having a simple quote from the Dhammapada or a Dhamma inspired slogan ("Strive diligently") are pretty innocuous imho. I have a t shirt from India with the Buddha's face and Buddham Saram Gaccahmi on it and people at my yoga studio love it. :smile:

BTW I would be sure to get/check the quote from the source as there are lots of "fake Buddha quotes" running around online.

This shop http://www.redbubble.com/shop/buddhism+t-shirts has some amazing designs and I've bought other tees from them. Good quality items.
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

Postby Anagarika » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Proselytizing is really more making an affirmative effort to convert someone; it's usually thought to be an offensive act. So, making these tee shirts is not proselytizing, unless you were forcibly clothing people in them. :)

What you might get by selling, gifting or wearing such shirts are questions from others, or objections, so be ready to deal with the questions without offending or proselytizing.
Anagarika

Return to Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)