Dhamma for teenagers

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
rowyourboat

Dhamma for teenagers

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi All,

A friend called me today- she was keen on conducting sessions on dhamma for children, including teenagers. She is already doing meditation for kids, but we don't have anything for teenagers (who are of course difficult to rope in for this kind of thing). :tongue: what do you think would attract them? What topics would be good to cover? How would you go about it? Any and all qualities of a general dhamma session is 'up for grabs' as it were and I am willing to change them if it would appeal more and engage teenagers better. I need a brainstorming session please! Incidentally, this is for kids growing up in London, UK.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Ben

Re: Dhamma for teenagers

Post by Ben »

Hi Matheesha,
My tradition holds courses for children (8-12) and teenagers (13-17) from a one-day course on anapana meditation to seven-day vipassana courses for teenagers. Visit http://www.vri.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info. Two of my kids have done the children's course but my older son isn't interested in attending a teenager's course - and I'm not sure what the course content is like. The kids courses are very relaxed and the focus is on activities with four fifteen minute sessions of anapana thrown in - and a fairly light discourse at the end of the day.

For a few years I have been invited to speak to our year 10 (16-year olds) students on the subject of 'the Buddhist perspective on death and dying. Its during a program where other religions are introduced by looking at how they approach death and dying. So, that could be one subject one could introduce.
If you have a Buddhist Society in the UK you may wish to contact them and see if they can offer any assistance by way of program outline and resources.
All the best.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that! Yes, I guess, those teenage years are a time when they are trying to make sense of life, so topic like 'death' would make sense- how did the students you spike to, take it? I was also thinking of love, sex, music, partying as well, in terms of topics!

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Matheesha
Mostly, very interested. If not interested - then respectful. At the end of the sessions I got interesting questions. First time I did the talk, despite the fact that I spent a bit of time busting some myths about who the Buddha was and what he actually taught, some kid asked 'why is it good luck to rub Buddha's tummy?'
Some feedback from last year's session was one kid said to her parents - then relayed to me - "The Buddha is cool!"
The second session of last year, another colleague, a Vajrayana practitioner, joined me and that was interesting for the students in that they got a taste for the wide spectrum that encompasses the living traditions.
I'll have to dig out last year's talk...
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..