Mindfulness in Education

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
ancientbuddhism

Mindfulness in Education

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Ben

Re: Mindfulness in Education

Post by Ben »

Thanks AB, I was actually researching the efficacy of mindfulness in education outcomes about five or so years ago when i was looking at establishing an anapana meditation (samatha variation) in a school I was working at. Since then the field of mindfulness in different secular applications, including education, has exploded. Since then my wife has incorporated MiCBT into her practice and teaches "mindfulness meditation" to school students, and primary and secondary school teachers.

You might like to know that there have been better conferences organised including one at Cambridge University and another in Germany - both of which my wife was looking at attending this year. There are also better reference materials out there for anyone wishing to investigate the use of mindfulness meditation in the education sector.
The mindfulnet.org site is good, bt the others you provided are for past conference fliers. The blog associated with the antioch university site is not active.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

See also this interesting interview, which has a lot of practical advice:

Teaching Mindful Awareness to Children
http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2011/05/bg ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This week we’re joined by Susan Kaiser Greenland a leader in bringing mindful awareness to children and teens. We explore the differences between mindful based approaches and Buddhist approaches, seeing in what ways they are mutually supportive and in what ways tensions exist between them. Susan then shares some of the methods she uses for introducing mindfulness to children in a natural way, while highlighting the importance of that teaching being truly embodied.

To connect with other professionals, teachers, and parents who are using this approach, please visit: MindfulnessTogether.net
:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Mike!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Did you see http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 128902C6C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Ajahn Jayasaro - Buddhist Education)?
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
ancientbuddhism

Ben wrote:Thanks AB, I was actually researching the efficacy of mindfulness in education outcomes about five or so years ago when i was looking at establishing an anapana meditation (samatha variation) in a school I was working at. Since then the field of mindfulness in different secular applications, including education, has exploded. Since then my wife has incorporated MiCBT into her practice and teaches "mindfulness meditation" to school students, and primary and secondary school teachers.

You might like to know that there have been better conferences organised including one at Cambridge University and another in Germany - both of which my wife was looking at attending this year. There are also better reference materials out there for anyone wishing to investigate the use of mindfulness meditation in the education sector.
The mindfulnet.org site is good, bt the others you provided are for past conference fliers. The blog associated with the antioch university site is not active.
Interesting that you worked with kids using anapana. I have not had the opportunity to introduce meditation in schools, but occasionally have had school groups – from elementary to college age – come by the temple and I was pleased to find that kids are not as bored with anapana as I thought they would be.

Another method which I found kids liked was the Dynamic Meditation (mahāsati) method as taught by the Luang-por Teean tradition.

Normality

Manual of Self-Awareness

Sorry about the dead links. I knew that some of the Antioch events were past, but I have been closer to the folks involved with that.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves