Meditation Retreat High

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Meditation Retreat High

Postby mpcahn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:21 am

I just did a daylong meditation retreat and I feel almost inebriated with mental brightness. I had trouble driving home because I was distracted by the feelings of mental brightness and forgot my meditation cushion and had to go back. When I finally got home I had trouble getting anything done.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Does meditation act like weightlifting in that directly after a period of intense meditation it is harder to control your impulses because the control has been exhausted?

This is my hypothesis for what is happening.
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
mpcahn

Re: Meditation Retreat High

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 am

It depends on a lot of things.
What meditation you have done, how long you have done it for and maturity of practice.
Following my first ten-day course I was euphoric.
However, these days I feel close to normal following a retreat - just a lot less agitated.
kind regards

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby mpcahn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:35 am

I have been meditating on and off for about 5 years and this is my first retreat in a long time. It was just 8 hours of meditation though I'm starting to "come down" now. Your post helped a lot, it seems to make sense that more intense practice takes getting used to.
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
mpcahn

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 am

I think it's quite common the first few times, everything is fresh and new and quite a contrast with how your life has been (it's much like your first kiss)... wait till you do a monthlong.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby mpcahn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 am

Goofaholix wrote:I think it's quite common the first few times, everything is fresh and new and quite a contrast with how your life has been (it's much like your first kiss)... wait till you do a monthlong.

I think I'd black out and wake up in a strange place with no idea of how I got there with that much meditation.
mpcahn

Postby JustThis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Keep an eye on your expectations, in the beginning especially there can be a lot of variation in how your retreats go. Early on I had retreats where I was calm and peaceful with an underlying quality of bliss followed by ones filled with restlessness and frustration. After many years my retreats have leveled out quite a bit.
JustThis

Return to Theravada Meditation