Recent retreat experience

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Goofaholix

Re: Recent retreat experience

Post by Goofaholix »

mikenz66 wrote:Sure, complacency is a good description of the problem. However I tend to think of laziness as the result of complacency. And in terms of action (or not...) "lazy" is the opposite to "effort", which is what needs to be applied.
If you were truly lazy you'd be at home with your feet up watching coronation street.

I don't think anyone who can do mahasi style practice 10+ hours sitting and walking over several weeks or days could really be considered lazy, however despite that level of effort being applied in a sustained way I've found myself that I can get complacent.

It's not a lack of effort, I can put forth quite sustained effort on retreat, it's the forgetting that each and every moment is precious and worthy of renewed attention.

So it's not so much the effort it's how we're applying the effort that is important I think, wrong effort can be just as unconducive as no effort.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Goofaholix, You make some very good points here.
Goofaholix wrote: If you were truly lazy you'd be at home with your feet up watching coronation street.
:shock:
Goofaholix wrote: I don't think anyone who can do mahasi style practice 10+ hours sitting and walking over several weeks or days could really be considered lazy, however despite that level of effort being applied in a sustained way I've found myself that I can get complacent.
I guess you're right. I did think you were just being picky about the English terminology (and as you know, being picky about English tends to be a bit pointless in a Thai context where sometimes you're lucky to get any at all...)

So what you say here is quite correct:
Goofaholix wrote: It's not a lack of effort, I can put forth quite sustained effort on retreat, it's the forgetting that each and every moment is precious and worthy of renewed attention.
And, I might add, in my case the choice to apply just sufficient effort in a way that gives enough concentration to be reasonably comfortable, i.e. the wrong effort of your next sentence:
Goofaholix wrote: So it's not so much the effort it's how we're applying the effort that is important I think, wrong effort can be just as unconducive as no effort.
Thank you very much for your really helpful comments!

:anjali:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

Sounds like it was a productive retreat then.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
amtross

Post by amtross »

When I was hiking the appelachian trail (from GA to ME), there was a saying: "Never stop at a shelter while its raining if you want to go any further that day". When you're hiking in the rain, it usually isn't that bad but once you get in a comfortable spot it's almost impossible to talk yourself into going back out into the rain. I think the practice can be like this...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Beautiful simile Amtross... :heart:

Mike
carlosm

Post by carlosm »

Thanks mikenz66 for this post, really gave me a lot to think about. I also suffer a bit form complacence, and I'm just at the beginning of the practice, I spend a lot of time in calm states instead in put effort in going forward in the path.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I agree with the other posters; that it sounds like a productive retreat. I am sure we all have to go through many a retreat like that to get closer to our goal(s).

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." Chinese proverb

The blind sea turtle similie
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks all. I've learned to accept over the years that just learning one little thing from a retreat is progress...

Mike