Dhammanupassana for the Anapanasati practitioner

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
retrofuturist

Dhammanupassana for the Anapanasati practitioner

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was just reading the following and was interested in sharing it... and discussing, if anyone cares to.

Watch What You're Doing - Thanissaro Bhikkhu
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... html#watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As per the subject heading, it's a guide on how one whose primary meditation object is the breath, can ask pertinent questions of their experience in order to drill down to the nature of human action (kamma/volition).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Re: Dhammanupassana for the Anapanasati practitioner

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for that link Retro. That's an excellent teaching which I think has nothing much to do with which particular object one happens to be watching... I like his discussion on discerning intention, which is clearly vitally important.

:anjali:
Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Exceptional, that's it in a nutshell, I wish I'd read an article like this 15 years ago.

A few uses of the word "complacent" in there Mike.

It also made me realise that "fabrication" is a much better word to use to describe everything we add to our experience, rather than the "conceptual reality" or "conventional reality" phrases I was using not so long ago.

I think there is more emphasis on cittanupassana than dhammanupassana though.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Goofaholix wrote: A few uses of the word "complacent" in there Mike.
Yes, that's partly why I also thought it was a great article. I was curious why Retro makes such a big deal of the breath. It seems to me that the whole point is that the object one is trying to follow is not special. As Steve Armstrong http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/170/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; likes to say: You can do what you like, walk, sit, stand on your head. Doesn't matter as long as you watch the mind.

While I've noticed these subtle intentions that Ven T talks about from time to time, I probably haven't paid the attention to them that they deserve. Generally, I tend to think of intention as something I primarily observe when walking. So this is an excellent reminder to look for intention in the more subtle depths of the mind and not just the gross aspects.

Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mikenz66 wrote:I was curious why Retro makes such a big deal of the breath. It seems to me that the whole point is that the object one is trying to follow is not special.
Lots of practitioners make a big deal about the breath (I wouldn't have thought Retro was one of them) it's the classic finger pointing at the moon scenario, you might recall seeing a thread I was involved in a week or two ago on this very topic.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Agreed - this is an exceptional little article. One of those that I had read before, and thought, "OK, yes, I get it", and then moved on. I needed someone to place it in front of me again, in order to look more closely at it. It's often like that. Thank you for posting the link.

Can anyone suggest any Suttas which relate closely to what Ajahn Thanissaro was explaining?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Goofaholix wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I was curious why Retro makes such a big deal of the breath. It seems to me that the whole point is that the object one is trying to follow is not special.
Lots of practitioners make a big deal about the breath (I wouldn't have thought Retro was one of them) it's the classic finger pointing at the moon scenario, you might recall seeing a thread I was involved in a week or two ago on this very topic.
Sure: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 43#p168543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Fantastic article, it really gets to the heart of the process. Thanks for sharing it.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:I was curious why Retro makes such a big deal of the breath.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:The people listening to these talks were familiar with the meditation instructions included in "Method 2" in Keeping the Breath in Mind by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo; and my own essay, "A Guided Meditation." If you are not familiar with these instructions, you might want to read through them before reading the talks in this book.
Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... html#intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goofaholix wrote:Lots of practitioners make a big deal about the breath (I wouldn't have thought Retro was one of them)
Based on my learnings/observations re: the nature of sankhara, and the similar recognition of the significance of sankhara expressed in these talks by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, it's certainly increasing in its appeal. Anapanasati for the Dhammanupassana practitioner. :lol:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:The people listening to these talks were familiar with the meditation instructions included in "Method 2" in Keeping the Breath in Mind by Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo; ...
Exactly. He mentions the breath in the talk because that's what the particular listeners are familiar with using, not because the message is about breath meditation in particular. Perhaps this seems a small point, but to me it's a really good talk that is saying that the particular meditation object is of secondary importance.

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike (and others),

In that case, I'm pleased you found it a useful talk.

:meditate:

Metta,
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have nothing to add specifically, although the other thread on Dhammanupassana was related and what I have posted here seams relevant to the discussion in this thread, particularly the recent two posts.

Re: Dhammanupassana in the Satipatthana Sutta Post by Cittasanto » 21 Jan 2012, 13:48 wrote:For me the breath is sort of like the back drop, or the movement of walking depending on the posture, it does become a very obvious representation of impermanence/uncertainty, particularly on retreat, then any of the four satipatthanas become far more noticeable within this perspective.

for day to day life I have found sense restraint far more beneficial outside of retreat structure, and can have a similar effect, it is just a matter of keeping up the practice....
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
amtross

Post by amtross »

I'm still in the middle of reading it :coffee: , but it's a great article so far. I was wondering about this part:
The Buddha said discernment involves comprehending the process of fabrication, the process of action that's going on in the mind all the time. And all the basic building blocks of action are right here.
does anyone happen to have any good sutta references that talk about the relationship between discernment and fabrication? This seems to be getting right at the crux of the practice! :bow:

sean
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Amtross,
amtross wrote:does anyone happen to have any good sutta references that talk about the relationship between discernment and fabrication?
Any that deal with the subject of dependent origination.

In dependence upon avijja (opposite of vijja, knowledge/discernment) arise sankharas (fabrications/determinations).

Metta,