Tell us about your meditation journy

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Tell us about your meditation journy

Postby Ervin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 am

I have a question for those who have been meditating for a while and that is how did you motivate your self to begin and keep on doing it? How was it in the begining and how was it after a while of doing it? Does it get more enjoybable as you do more? What are the changes you noticed?

Personally I like the results because I have meditated here and there but never on regular basis for long enough to get the benefits that would be seriously noticeable.

One of the reasons I find it hard to motivate my self ate the psych drugs that I can't reject. If you read Proof of some sort of karmic system thread in the personal experiences section you will see how bad the effects can be. But I believe that Ii should not weight for things to change before I start meditating.

Thanks
Ervin

Re: Tell us about your meditation journy

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 am

It was a long time ago that I did my first meditation so I don't know if I remember correctly how it was but it seems that in the very beginning I noticed that every religion I knew of had people who did meditation and they all said that it was a good thing and no one that I had ever heard of ever said that it was a bad thing.....so.....I decided to try it. Every thing I read and heard about meditation said that you don't get results immediately but need to keep going for a long time to get results and they were right. Luckily I had enough faith in what I had read to keep going and sure enough after a long time I started to see that it helped me to be more content in my life and to have a better understanding about things. And what I have noticed since then is that sometimes it seems like it is not helping me but sometimes it does. One of my teachers told me a story about this and so I'll tell it to you.

There was a man who wanted to learn martial arts and heard about a master who was beyond compare so he went to his house and asked to become a student and learn the highest martial art... but he was turned away....he returned again the next day and again was turned away...and again the next day and the next and the next....until after a long time the master decided that maybe the man was dedicated enough so he let him in and told him he could be a student. The man was very happy and encouraged by this and asked what to do to learn the highest martial art. The master told him to sit down and pay close attention while eating a bowl of fried soybeans....and then the master lelt. So the student sat down, picked up his chop sticks and very attentively ate them. Fried soybeans are very slippery and difficult to eat with chopsticks so it took the student quite awhile to eat them all as the bowl was sort of big and when he was done the master appeared and told the student to go home and come back again the next day. So the student came back the next day and again the master gave the same instructions and provided the same bowl of soybeans and the student ate them and was told to go home....and agian the next day...and the next...and the next....for five years this is all that the master instructed.
Finally the student became disilussioned about his experience and one day when after the student ate the soybeans and the master told him to go home the student got very angry and told the master "Everyday for five years it is always the same...eat soybeans...eat soybeans...eat soybeans...this is stupid this is ridiculous....I came to learn the highest martial art and all you do is have me eat soybeans...I quit...you have no intention to teach me anything and are wasting my time....." Now the master became very angry too.....how dare this mere student speak this way to a master of the highest martial art....and he grabbed a knife and threw it at the student who raised his chopsticks and caught the knife in mid air right in front of his nose and saved himself from ruin.

The moral of the story is that you are learning something even if you think you are not.

chownah
chownah

Postby befriend » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 am

ive been meditating for 5 and a half years. what inspires me is my innate karmic dispostion if investigation and saddha. i have faith in what buddha said including rebirth and such. also i think it is all beings life mission to try to understand what life is. these two factors in my mind are very powerful. when i first started off i would space out and get little snippets of awarness of my environment. i can now be incredibly aware of my present moment experience, when i meditate if its for 30 minutes i will day dream a few times. most noticably with other people, everyone tells me that i move peacefully, i have a relaxed demeanor, calm and low key voice. what also makes me want to practice more, i as of a few weeks ago started meditating for some part of the sunrise and sunset, and as much as i can remember during the day. i would like to be an anagarika so i can meditate and volunteer all day. so im practicing more so my mind will be more in tune with dhamma so i can succesfully do that. you can be mindful when you eat, lie down walk etc... dont limit meditation to just formal sitting.
befriend

Postby jackson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Ervin wrote:I have a question for those who have been meditating for a while and that is how did you motivate your self to begin and keep on doing it? How was it in the begining and how was it after a while of doing it? Does it get more enjoybable as you do more? What are the changes you noticed?

Personally I like the results because I have meditated here and there but never on regular basis for long enough to get the benefits that would be seriously noticeable.

One of the reasons I find it hard to motivate my self ate the psych drugs that I can't reject. If you read Proof of some sort of karmic system thread in the personal experiences section you will see how bad the effects can be. But I believe that Ii should not weight for things to change before I start meditating.

Thanks

Greetings Ervin, :smile:
I get the feeling you may not get a lot of answers with this topic, because the practice is a very personal thing and not something many talk about openly (especially on a public forum), but I'd like to mention a few things. Often the motivation for beginning to practice meditation is to relieve suffering, and at first practice may be very sporadic, ranging from serious dedication to no interest at all. In my case it took about 5 years of practicing on and off before everything finally gelled and the practice became steady. So if you're interested in meditating every day I'd recommend just sticking with it and not getting too discouraged when you get distracted by other things and eventually things should even out. In the beginning meditation is a foreign concept, so it helps to have a good set of instructions and to stick with them a while, and since one has never investigated the mind before they really have no clue where the practice of meditation will lead. After a while though, one begins to get a feel for how to calm the mind and go deeper in meditation, which becomes more enjoyable, and begins to get a feel for the appropriate questions to ask that will lead to insight. Gradually, over time the mind changes and one begins to relate to the world from the perspective of awareness and the mind becomes a lot less self-centered. This leads to life being a lot simpler and more peaceful. Anyway, I hope that helps. As for the psych drugs, I can only speak for myself but I will say that coffee is a great help in countering the sedation.
Best wishes!
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
jackson

Return to Theravada Meditation