Looking for text on image of Buddha

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Looking for text on image of Buddha

Postby Pondera » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Is there any literature on the image of the Buddha arising during meditation?

I'm physically beat up right now. I was kicking my own butt at the 'skate-park' the last two days. I should know by now, there isn't any reason why a guy my age would skate - but anyhow.

The pain is around my neck and through my legs. This isn't really the point; but I was trying to get a bunch of chores done this morning when I just gave up and laid down. So I got to breathing very shallow. This reminded me of the first distinction made in the anapanasati sutta; the discernment between a short breath and a long breath.

These breaths were short. I was inhaling only a tiny amount of oxygen each time. So, it happened that a sizable amount of pressure built on my chest; which wasn't discomforting - only soothing in a strange way.

Then something I've seen before popped up.

We know that history is full of 'iconic figures'. Cleopatra, Athena, & so forth. And the reason we call them 'iconic' is because through history their lives have left an indelible mark on the collective conscious of man-kind. But they are not just 'cultural icons'; they are also 'icons' in the true sense of the word - i.e. a visual reminder that points towards the recognition of the person's immortal mark on history.

Now when I was breathing very shallow breaths, and this pressure was building up on my chest, the 'icon' of the Buddha appeared in my visual field. He was a little ways off in my visual field and was looking about the same as one might expect to see an icon looking in a Thai gift shop near the airport. The 'icon' was living; somehow 'stone-like'. he owned a subtle smile on his face which was altogether assuring.

Has anyone ever come across this?

I know it may sound crazy, but I am sure that this 'apparition' is entirely suited to a 'Recollection of the Buddha'. The 'iconic' appearance of the figure builds confidence, assurance, a sense of guidance, a sense of security in the clever grin, and a mystical feeling that comes with his 'stone-like' presence.

So, if anyone can help; I'm searching for textual information on the image of the Buddha in meditation. Google searches don't amount to much. I was hoping someone could direct me to some references either in the tipitaka or in abhidhamma literature. I know there's meditation practices where people push themselves to visualize the Buddha by looking at an iconic figure before hand. But the kind of information I am looking for would involve his appearance coming, unexpectedly - during the course of meditation... and in this case breath-meditation.

Thank you ahead of time,

Pondera
Pondera

Re: Looking for text on image of Buddha

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:40 am

Greetings Pondera,

Perhaps you might find the following pertinent:

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."

-- SN22.87 Vakkali Sutta: Vakkali

All the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Looking for text on image of Buddha

Postby SamKR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 am

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."

-- SN22.87 Vakkali Sutta: Vakkali

:bow: :bow: :bow:
SamKR

Return to Theravada Meditation