Gaia house

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Gaia house

Postby greggorious » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 am

I'm going to a retreat in the Gaia house tradition, as it's near to me. I've taken a look at their website and they seem to be a cross between Therevada and Mahayana. Anyone know much about this tradition?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Re: Gaia house

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 am

Gaia House started more or less as a satellite of Sharpham House when Martine and Stephen Batchelor were there before moving to France.
I would not describe it as a cross between schools. It is a centre of Vipassana/Vipashnya, and hosts Vipassana/Vipashnya teachers from all traditions where insight meditation is taught.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Return to Theravada Meditation