What's the benefit of walking meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

What's the benefit of walking meditation?

Postby puppha » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Dear All,

What's the benefit of walking meditation? Especially compared to sitting vipassana.
For me, it's a bit easier to concentrate during walking meditation, but it seems to lead to less insights...

Comments welcome!

With Metta
puppha

Re: What's the benefit of walking meditation?

Postby rowboat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Replying here only from my personal understanding, not from the suttas, teachings, or from any significant insight. I find that walking meditation will effectively dispel the more torporous states of concentration that can develop when sitting meditation is actually starting to work, where one's enthusiasm for having more concentration can easily lead to states of *wrong* concentration. Personally it was walking meditation that got me past a major physical hindrance in the form of tinnitus, or a constant ringing in my left ear. Also, of an even more practical concern, if you've ever tried to sit for very long periods, then you will notice that switching to walking meditation really seems to open the windows, allows fresh air, sunlight into the room, metaphorically speaking.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 pm

See this short article by Sayādaw U Sīlānanda — The Benefits of Walking Meditation

Read what Sayādaw U Pandita says about Walking Meditation:
Walking meditation develops balance and accuracy of awareness as well as durability of concentration. One can observe very profound aspects of the Dhamma while walking, and even get enlightened! In fact a yogi who does not do walking meditation before sitting is like a car with a rundown battery. He or she will have a difficult time starting the engine of mindfulness when sitting.

Ajahn Chah used to look at the walking path outside his monk's kutis — if they were not well worn he knew they were being negligent in their practise. Ajahn Mun was also a diligent practitioner of walking meditation.

In my personal experience, the best insights came from walking, not sitting. In Burma, its very hot and humid. Sitting for long hours is tough. Walking continuously for long periods is not difficult. Continuous mindfulness leads to insights.

Famous examples from the Buddha's time are Venerable Ānanda who gained Arahantship after striving in walking practice for the whole night. Realising that he needed to balance the faculties, he went to lay down on his couch. Between sitting down and before his head touched the pillow, he passed through all three stages of the Path — Once-Returner, Non-Returner, and Arahant.

Venerable Moggallāna also practised walking relentlessly from the time of his ordination, until finally gaining Arahantship while sitting.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Try this search result
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby marc108 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 am

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Postby puppha » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 am

Dear All,

Many thanks for your coments and links, that's very interesting.

With Metta
puppha

Postby piotr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 am

Hi,

There's a sutta which lists five benefits of walking meditation: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
piotr

Postby Pacific » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:54 am

On a long private retreat recently, I found walking meditation to be far more beneficial FOR ME (not necessarily for YOU) than any sitting I did. I did a lot of walking and I recommend it it you particularly find you live "in your head" so much that sitting can get a bit "messy". Both my teacher and my (buddhist) therapist recommended this to me over sitting and they were right in that i had more benefit than just sitting alone
Pacific

Return to Theravada Meditation