Back Pain

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Back Pain

Postby Salatier » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

Hey all, I've been meditating for about a week now, daily, and have been able to do about 20-30 minutes a night. For the past two days in a row though, I was out late with friends and I don't have time in the morning, so I was unable to continue. Today i was once again able to sit down to it, but within about 5 minutes I started to feel terrible back pain. Its in the middle of my back, to high to be lower back pain, but low enough that it is not near my neck. It's just below my shoulder blades, worst of it is in the middle area. I've never had anything like this before, and I cannot think of anything I did differently when meditating this time.
It was pretty bad, though it's mostly subsided now (about 20 minutes after i decided to stop) Any ideas of what I may have done? :/
If its any help, i sat on a cushion in a half lotus, same as always.
Salatier

Re: Back Pain

Postby Reductor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 am

Staying out late with the boys will leave you sore.

If your manner of sitting is the same now as it was previous, then I suspect this new pain is wear and tear on the body from having fun. So relax a bit, and make sure there isn't to much tension in the shoulders when you sit. Keep that head in a neutral position.

Hopefully your solution is as easy as that.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby tillencik » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 am

I get pain in my lower back unless I use my meditation char.
Practical Buddhist

Om Namu Padme Hum
tillencik

Postby santa100 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:42 am

Make sure to also spend time for your daily exercises beside meditation. Outdoor cardios are the best: jogging, biking, hiking, etc..
santa100

Postby Zom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:26 am

Sit near wall. Use small pillow. Place it behind the lower part of your back and lean back on it a little, so it could support your lower back. But still, keep whole body straight, though, not strain. This should help. If it still hurts, use larger and more higher pillow, so it could cover a middle area of your back too, as well as lower part.
Zom

Postby Salatier » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 am

Thanks everybody :) The problem seems to have stopped now, but I'm trying what you said, Zom, just to be sure
Salatier

Postby Reductor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:11 am

If there is no longer a problem sitting up unassisted then sit up unassisted. Zom's suggestion is a solution to a problem, not an ideal configuration.

Sit up under your own power if possible, otherwise you'll just have more conditions that you must satisfy everytime you sit.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Salatier » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 am

Alright, tonight I'll give it a try and I'll see what happens.
Salatier

Postby Zom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am

Btw, remember that it doesn't matter how you sit. You work with a mind - not with a body. So you should sit in such a way that is the most convenient to start working with the mind. You can sit even on a chair if this is okey for you to achieve mindfulness and concentration. If body disturbs you - that (in the most of cases) means that you don't meditate but develop patience enduring discomfort and pains ,)
Zom

Return to Theravada Meditation