Problem while meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Problem while meditating

Postby alfa » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 am

Hi,

When I meditate, I get into such a relaxed state that there is a danger of falling asleep. So I open my eyes and the meditation is disrupted. Nor can I do open eye meditation because it's a strain on my eye.

Any advice?

Alfa
alfa

Re: Problem while meditating

Postby Reductor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 am

What meditation instructions are you practicing?
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby cooran » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 am

Hello alfa,

Is it, perhaps, either sloth or torpor? If so, advice here.
http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practi ... and-torpor

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 am

Only sit after practising walking meditation for at least half the period you have available for meditation. Its not easy to fall asleep while doing walking meditation.

The Benefits of Walking Meditation
AIM WebsiteMy ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Alfa
Have you tried keeping your eyes open slightly, not wide open, or changing the object?

but what are you practising?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby befriend » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 am

raise your arms above your head for a little bit, and tilt your head up so its not drooping.
befriend

Postby bodom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 pm

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby alfa » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks, everyone.

I try to suppress my thoughts as they arise. This calms me down.
alfa

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 pm

alfa wrote:I try to suppress my thoughts as they arise. This calms me down.

Calming down leads to sleep, you need to energise your practise, the mind needs to be active and calm comes later.

I don't know where you learned the above approach but I don't think anyone here would recommend it.

You should bring your attention to whatever is happening in the present moment, body sensation, thought, breathing, feelings etc., noticing each and every little change arising and passing away. You want to be cultivating an alert mind not a dull mind.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Return to Theravada Meditation