"Living in the Present Moment"

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: "Living in the Present Moment"

Postby Moth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 am

I've always found that advice to be misleading. Don't dwelling in distant past or future, sure. However, what is a moment? A minute? A second? A millisecond? How many times can we divide time before it ceases to mean anything? It seems impossible to live in the moment, considering that our experience is generally recognized after it has occurred.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com
Moth

Postby MattJ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm tempted to ask: how can one NOT live in the present moment? Even thoughts of the past and future occur in the present moment.
MattJ

Postby Cafael Dust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:11 pm

On an internet forum, would it be when one's heart is in the present question, not in the future reply?
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
Cafael Dust

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Greetings,

Cafael Dust wrote:On an internet forum, would it be when one's heart is in the present question, not in the future reply?

I would suggest in that context it's more about being mindful of one's present mindstate, actions and reactions.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cafael Dust » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 am

You are right. Mindfulness beats soundbites.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.
Cafael Dust

Postby Aloka » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 am

However, what is a moment? A minute? A second? A millisecond? How many times can we divide time before it ceases to mean anything? It seems impossible to live in the moment, considering that our experience is generally recognized after it has occurred

"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.

Anyway, I think if we try to analyse everything down to the tiniest details too much, maybe we might miss the point altogether !

Aloka

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:05 am

Aloka wrote:"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.

My meditation teacher has been known to say, "Don't leave the room" while we are sitting. It's another way of reminding us to stay with present experience.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby daverupa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 am

It is helpful to recognize that what people naturally describe as occurring 'now' comprises a subjectively-broad saddle-back curve of time, rather than a point-instant or an objectively quantifiable & universally applicable span of (micro-)seconds. Trying to parse a specific measurement is missing the forest for the trees.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Sarva » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Aloka wrote:"Here and now" is probably a better way to describe it. I have heard Ajahn Sumedho using this expression rather than ''present moment''.

My meditation teacher has been known to say, "Don't leave the room" while we are sitting. It's another way of reminding us to stay with present experience.

:namaste:
Kim

I like that, Kim, worth quoting! Thanks :D
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86
Sarva

Postby polarbuddha101 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:33 pm

the idea that we aren't living in the present moment is just another delusion to be caste away. But I know what you mean, keeping thought from speculating about timeframes that it isn't existing in. actually now that i think about it this topic is addressed by ludwig wittgenstein in my signature
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm

bodom wrote:
[Devata:]
Those who abide in the forest, Peaceful, living the holy life; Those who eat but a single meal; — why is it their face is so calm?

[The Buddha:]
They do not grieve over the past, Nor do they yearn for the future; They live only in the present — That is why their face is so calm. It's from yearning for the future, And from grieving over the past; This is how fools become withered — Like a fresh reed that's been hacked down.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .olen.html

:anjali:

Excellent citation! Thank you! :anjali:

Buddha, during his dissertation regarding his unbinding, release and awakening explained that he could see many of his past lives, which is essentially dwelling in the past. Buddha explained during his dissertations regarding Khamma and Khamma-vipakha that rebirths in unfortunate realms were to be feared as a consequence of harmful intentional actions, which is dwelling in the future, but he had no attachment to any of those revelations. His purpose in revealing them was to provide us with instructions so as to warn and teach that it is wise to reflect upon our actions: Learning from past consequences, and making reasonable predictions as to potential courses of actions so as to guide our choices based upon the most beneficial potential outcomes.
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Postby paarsurrey » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:18 pm

I think while living in this world one should do acts and deeds that lead one to slavation or nirvana; that is living in the present moment really and truthfully otherwise one would be lead astray from the right or middle path.
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/
paarsurrey

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation