Vipassana - Access Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Vipassana - Access Meditation

Postby PadmaPhala » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:57 pm

i have some unresolved intelectualistic objections against "access meditation".

as far as i know:
anapanasatti - 4 jhānas - 4 arupa-jhānas

what's "access meditation", and what's its relationship with vipassana?
arguments supported by sutric reference preferred.
PadmaPhala

Re: Vipassana - Access Meditation

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Salve Vincenzi,

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "access concentration". I believe it is found primarily (if not exclusively) in the commentaries but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will reply shortly.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby cooran » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello V.,

Access Concentration is Upacara Samadhi - and is a factor related to Jhana Meditation:
Have a look at paragraph B :
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/awa ... ption.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby space_wrangler » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 pm

i could be wrong but i believe access concentration is from the commentaries, not in the suttas, as the suttas do not teach one-pointed concentration? if im wrong please inform me.
space_wrangler

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Greetings,

space_wrangler wrote:i could be wrong but i believe access concentration is from the commentaries, not in the suttas, as the suttas do not teach one-pointed concentration? if im wrong please inform me.

You are correct... which is going to make the OP's stated preference for sutta-based supporting evidence/argumentation hard to come by.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 am

A search for "upacārasamādhi*" found nothing in the CSCD Tipṭaka until the Commentaries were included, so we can say with confidence that the term is exclusively used in the Comentaries, Subcommentaries, or Other works like the Visuddhimagga.

The Venerable Ledi Sayādaw explains How to Proceed to Insight using mindfulness of respiration as the meditation object.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:43 am

Thank you, Bhante.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 am

space_wrangler wrote:i could be wrong but i believe access concentration is from the commentaries, not in the suttas, as the suttas do not teach one-pointed concentration? if im wrong please inform me.
it is, indeed, a commentarial concept, but that does not mean it is not a useful concept in understanding one's experience. The authors of the commentaries were not complete bozos.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Alex123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Just because the term upacārasamādh* is not used in the suttas, it doesn't mean that what it stands for wasn't taught by the Buddha.

For example, before one reaches Jhāna (or any insight for that matter), hindrances need to be temporary removed. This cessation of hindrances, IMHO, is in principle equivalent to what was later only technically called "access concentration". We need to look at the meaning rather than only at mere words.
I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care."
Alex123

Return to Theravada Meditation