Anapana sati - Abode of the noble ones???

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Anapana sati - Abode of the noble ones???

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm

OK I remember the Buddha discribed Anapana sati and the abode of the noble ones or something similar, but can not remember any references, or find a document where this and alternative names are given, any help?
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

bodom

Re: Anapana sati - Abode of the noble ones???

Postby bodom » Sun May 06, 2012 9:29 pm

At SN 54:11 The Buddha states:

"If anyone, bhikkhus, speaking rightly could say of anything:
'It is a noble dwelling, a divine dwelling, the Tathagata's dwelling,' it is of concentration by mindfulness of breathing that one could rightly say this." - Bodhi translation pg 1779

Hope this helps!

:anjali:
‘To define Buddhism without a lot of words and phrases, we can simply say, “Don’t cling or hold on to anything. Harmonize with actuality, with things just as they are.”’ - Ajahn Chah

Cittasanto

Re: Anapana sati - Abode of the noble ones???

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi,
Yeah, that is what I was looking for, thanks.
I need to brush up on my sutta reading :thinking:

sorry for trying to post this three times, it wasn't untill the last one I saw the notice!
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

Return to “General meditation-related issues”