when hindrances run deep.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rucontent
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

when hindrances run deep.

Postby rucontent » Sun May 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello,

In this case i am referring to guilt. But i have noticed it with anger as well. It seems sometimes that even in my awareness, the feelings run so deep that i am almost held hostage by something i know is not wise attention. Yet even in sitting with it or looking at it, i can't seem to move out from being with it. Is the idea just to sit longer?

thank you

bodom

Re: when hindrances run deep.

Postby bodom » Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm

When it comes to dealing with the hinderances sometimes a more proactive approach is needed:

If, whilst regarding a certain object, there arise in the disciple, on account of it, evil and unwholesome thoughts connected with greed, hatred and delusion, then the disciple (1) should, by means of this object, gain another and wholesome object. (2) Or, he should reflect on the misery of these thoughts; `Unwholesome, truly, are these thoughts! Blamable are these thoughts! Of painful result are these thoughts!' (3) Or he should pay no attention to these thoughts. (4) Or, he should consider the compound nature of these thoughts. (5) Or, with teeth clenched and tongue pressed against the gums, he should with his mind restrain, suppress and root out these thoughts; and in doing so these evil and unwholesome thoughts of greed, hatred and delusion will dissolve and disappear; and the mind will inwardly become settled and calm, composed and concentrated. - MN 20

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

bodom

Re: when hindrances run deep.

Postby bodom » Sun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Also see here:

The Five Mental Hindrances and Their Conquest
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el026.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Theravada Meditation”