A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
manas

A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

Post by manas »

Hi all,

memories that arise in the mind, memories of long ago: these are classified under sankhara-khanda, yes?

Here is where I'm a bit confused. A memory arises, which is a 'formation', a 'mental fashioning'. But I can have either a pleasant feeling associated with that memory, or a painful feeling, or a neutral feeling. So - the memory itself is sankhara, but the feeling(s) that come up alongside it are vedana, yes?

For example, we might remember being a child, walking in the yard of our home. Recollecting that, there is a happy feeling. The memory and the happy feeling seem to arise together, but they are actually separate things, are they not?

kind regards,

manas. :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Alex123

Re: A question re sankhara-khandha & vedana-khandha

Post by Alex123 »

Hello Manas,

1) All 4 mental aggregates arise together. You can't have one mental aggregate arise without the others.

2) If I am not mistaken, memory as just memory, is mostly saññā khandha.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Manas,
manas wrote:For example, we might remember being a child, walking in the yard of our home. Recollecting that, there is a happy feeling.
In such a case, feeling arises due to the contact (phassa) on the sixth sense door, intellect (mano).

Best wishes, Dmytro
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Vedana, sanna and vinnana khandhas are "passive". Sanna is perception ie. a knowing which is a form of memory. These 3 are in a way not under volitional formations which is "active" as in having an intention. The 1st try is happening to us while sankhara is a doing as in thinking of the past.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
manas

Post by manas »

Thanks for the replies. I can see that I have to now go and study much more.

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi all,

Could it not be 'dhamma' at the mind door?

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha