Trouble settling...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: Trouble settling...

Postby retrofuturist » Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 am

Greetings Mike,

Maybe so... but it's a sad state of affairs when you can't defend the Buddhaword of the suttas, simply because the Visuddhimagga enthusiasts might get in a huff about it.

:juggling:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Trouble settling...

Postby MMK23 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 am

retrofuturist wrote:I didn't like the subservience the above quotation showed with respect to the Visudhimagga classification of anapanasati as samatha only, despite the fact that the last two thirds or more of...

MN 118: Anapanasati Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

... are clearly about vipassana.

Hey Retro! I started a thread about these sorts of issues - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1425 - and I would love to hear if you have more thoughts on this :-) Even if it's just to draw upon what you've said here I'd love to hear it. I note later in this thread you mentioned:

Maybe so... but it's a sad state of affairs when you can't defend the Buddhaword of the suttas, simply because the Visuddhimagga enthusiasts might get in a huff about it.

Which is exactly the sort of thing I was asking about :-) So clearly you feel that there are complications created by the commentarial treatment of anapanasati, care to share more?

MMK23
MMK23

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation