YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

what kind of tea is best for meditation? - Dhamma Wheel

what kind of tea is best for meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
johnny

what kind of tea is best for meditation?

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 am

i'm sure it's a precept violation in many of your opinions, or some surly think it's a hindrance to meditation or something. that's fine, maybe you're right! but this isn't a debate thread on whether it is or not, i'm just asking for other tea drinkers opinions on which tea is good. unless you have a quote from the pali canon where it literally says "caffeine/tea is a violation" (which i would be very interested too learn about. so please share if this exists!), i'm sure i've already heard whatever reasoning there is behind each side of the debate in the threads elsewhere on this site about whether or not caffeine is appropriate.

anyway, i meditate every day and a few times a week i do a full on meditation ritual where i practice lots of exercises for wakefulness and then sit with a big cup of mao feng in front of me. it keeps my mind sharp and allows me too meditate for longer. these sessions are the only time i have any caffeine at all. that way it works very well because i'm not totally used too it to the point of being able too ignore it's effects.

tea works for me, coffee or synthetic caffeine containing drinks do not at all. they either make me just have a mind full of racing thoughts or, oddly enough, i fall asleep. for some reason tea is PERFECT.

however low grade bagged tea is next too pointless for me. the mao feng i found is some really good, high caffeine, high theanine (relaxing ingredient) loose leaf, organic green tea. most bagged tea is low quality leaves and the plants may not have been healthy and so they don't have much of the good ingredients we want.

in fact i had tried many types of tea with no good results, even other high quality types didn't work, or didn't work very well, for some reason this kind is just fantastic.

i'm sure it's different for everyone though. undoubtedly many can have a cup of the cheapest bagged tea and meditate for six hours straight without feeling drowsy for a second lol! i however am not so lucky.

anyone have any recommendations?
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: what kind of tea is best for meditation?

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:25 am

Greetings,

The best kind of tea is sani-tea. 8-)

In all seriousness, there is no prohibition against tea, although those taking the precept of not eating after noon will need to be mindful to avoid milk from that point of the day onwards.

Moreso than any one type of tea being any better or worse than another, I think what would be more significant is mindfulness of the act of preparing and drinking the tea, in accordance with the instructions in the Satipatthana Sutta (or Japanese tea ceremonies, if that's your bag).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 am

The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 am

Over 20 years ago I spent some months at my teacher's centre in India. Every morning I had chai as part of breakfast. It was like rocket-fuel. The combination of spices, sugar and the super-caffeinated assam tea was amazing.
These days before I go on retreat I will wean myself off all forms of caffeine. On one retreat a few years ago I had two squares of Lindt dark chocolate as part of the mid-day meal. I think as a result of the caffeine spike I was too agitated to develop any samadhi for the remainder of the day. It was an interesting and instructive experience.
In day to day life, I drink tea and coffee and often have a cup of coffee before my morning meditation.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 am

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:32 pm

mynameisadahn

Postby mynameisadahn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Different tradition, but I recall something about Boddhidarma (sp) popularizing the drinking of green tea among meditators in China. Green tea has less caffeine than coffee, so it seems like a good compromise beverage to me.

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:20 am

Organic loose leaf Oolongs, Puerh Tuocha (aka Bird's Nest aka Camel's Breath). Your attempt to balance caffeine and l-theanine is wise, and I think these are the best for that. Also might try Gyokuro and other premium Japanese teas.
Regards,
Daniel

johnny

Postby johnny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”