New Book on Mindfulness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Goob

New Book on Mindfulness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Post by Goob »

I have always been impressed by Thanissaro Bhikkhu's skill in explaining the words of the Buddha in a very coherent and in a - to me - intuitively logical way and I'm always looking forward to his new books and writings. And today I found this, just released yesterday: Right Mindfulness: Memory & Ardency on the Buddhist Path.

I haven't read it yet but I am looking forward to it and It seems very promising and perhaps a wee bit controversial since he's known to be very critical of the so-called Vipassana/Goenka movement's understanding of Mindfulness/sati as an open unreflexive awareness.

Anyway, enjoy!
Anagarika

Re: New Book on Mindfulness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Post by Anagarika »

Thanks, Richard. I'm looking forward to reading this asap this week.

I have visited Ajahn Thanissaro's Wat Metta many times, and on one occasion, he asked one of the younger Bhikkhus to gather an entire box of his books (30+ pounds) so that I could send them to some friends of mine at a Wat in Thailand. All of these books were free, and in fact, Ajahn Geoff has never charged for his books.

Being at Wat Metta (San Diego, California, USA) is a good experience, too. Ajahn Geoff is a very serious man, he is clearly an Abbot in charge, but while he is somewhat reserved, just as a Dean of a great university might be, he's also friendly, willing to engage when there's a solid discussion ongoing, and he's a strong mentor to the monks, novices, and lay sangha at his Wat. I noted that he's most engaged when the Thai laity in at the temple, and he literally sat on the floor with them speaking Thai and organizing a calendar that was being put together. I get the sense that while he's somewhat reserved with the US public that just drops in at the Wat, he's very connected with the Thai people at the temple, reflecting his deep roots in Thailand. I really respected this about him. He's not a schmoozer looking for donations, or a 'businessman' as I've seen in Thailand with some Abbots...he's a brilliant man with a brilliant mind and an excellent writer, who seems happiest sitting with the Thai people working on a calendar, or with the younger monks reading that day's foreign press. And, with every book he writes, he gives them away for free, as the Buddha expressed.

If anyone ever has doubts about the health or longevity of Theravada in the West, a visit to Wat Metta will restore your faith should it ever wain.
Goob

Post by Goob »

Hi Buddhasoup,

Yeah, I'm gonna get on it asap too, too bad I'm working a bit too much, I think it could really benefit my practice and overall understanding.

Funny that you mention staying at Wat Metta, I just asked permission to stay for a couple of months sometime in 2013 and Than Geoff said I was welcome. I hope I can make it (I live in northern Europe), it seems like a beautiful place.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Richard,

It looks good. Ajahn Thanissaro always has interesting perspectives. It's great that we have such good access to various interpretations of the Dhamma.

Since his targets of criticism are presented in such a cartoon manner, it seems unlikely that he is talking about any serious Buddhist teachers, so I don't see it as particularly controversial.

:anjali:
Mike
Goob

Post by Goob »

Mikenz66: No worries. Well, controversial or not (and I'm sure the intention is not to be controversial at all) just out of childish curiosity I googled one of the anonymous quotes found in the beginning chapters and it belongs to a very well-known and respected, asian theravada monk. Not that it matters tho, but hey, it's a forum ;)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Richard,

No problem. I don't recognise anything I've learned (from mostly Mahasi-style teachers) in his criticisms, so I don't find his statements particularly controversial. In fact, some aspects of Ven Thanissaro's instructions are very similar in concept to the Mahasi approach. I discussed some of these issues in this thread:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p174180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, beginner introductions or sound bites can always create a false impression. Ajahn Chah is particulary susceptible to trivialisation by sound bite...

:anjali:
Mike
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

It would not be difficult to trace the quotes in his book which, as he writes, misrepresent the Buddha's teachings on mindfulness. In fact, if you have listened to his less formal Dhamma talks, he does drop a name or two occasionally... But his justification for presenting a valid criticism of teachings, not of persons, is well taken. It is based on the Buddha's instructions on How to Teach Dhamma:

Anguttara Nikaya 5:159
It is not easy to teach dhamma to others.
Concerning the teaching of dhamma to others, only after five things have been internally established is dhamma to be taught to others. What five?
1. “I shall speak a graduated discourse…“
2. “I shall speak a discourse that is insightfully-arranged…“
3. “I shall speak a discourse grounded upon caring…“
4. “I shall speak a discourse without motivation for personal gain…“
5. “I shall speak a discourse without disparaging myself or others…“
…thus is dhamma to be taught to others.

http://www.dharma.org/ij/archives/2000b/ss_teaching.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Deleted by author:
It was unfair of me to try influence the discussion with over generalizations.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I've learned valuable things from all the teachers I mentioned. It was disrespectful of me towards all of them to cast them in the light I did.

Best,
Daniel
Last edited by danieLion on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

BuddhaSoup wrote:I noted that he's most engaged when the Thai laity in at the temple, and he literally sat on the floor with them speaking Thai and organizing a calendar that was being put together. I get the sense that while he's somewhat reserved with the US public that just drops in at the Wat, he's very connected with the Thai people at the temple, reflecting his deep roots in Thailand. I really respected this about him. He's not a schmoozer looking for donations, or a 'businessman' as I've seen in Thailand with some Abbots...he's a brilliant man with a brilliant mind and an excellent writer, who seems happiest sitting with the Thai people working on a calendar, or with the younger monks reading that day's foreign press. And, with every book he writes, he gives them away for free, as the Buddha expressed.
Hi BuddhaSoup,
At the same time, though, he is very innovative in teaching the Dhamma to Americans etc..., and of translating the Dhamma to our self-entitled culture in a way that balances attracting people to Buddhism while simultaneously showing them how it can often clash with our cultural assumptions, in particular to us spoiled-rotten Americans.
Best,
Daniel
Edit: see above post deletion.
Last edited by danieLion on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

danieLion wrote: When he's criticizing the "whatever comes up" method it's directed towards Joseph Goldstein et al.
Maybe, but he does not quote Goldstein, so it becomes hard to take what he says seriously as criticism of Goldstein, or any one else. It reads as a bit of a straw man argument. If one is going to argue against a postion, then put that position out there as accurately and fully as possible, then one should do one's best to beat it up, if it needs beating up. I do not see that as what has happened in this book.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote: When he's criticizing the "whatever comes up" method it's directed towards Joseph Goldstein et al.
Maybe, but he does not quote Goldstein, so it becomes hard to take what he says seriously as criticism of Goldstein, or any one else. It reads as a bit of a straw man argument. If one is going to argue against a postion, then put that position out there as accurately and fully as possible, then one should do one's best to beat it up, if it needs beating up. I do not see that as what has happened in this book.
Perhaps,
I'm probably ignorant.
I use BOTH "methods" and value both teachers.

Maybe I'll ask him this autumn on his regular visit.
Best,
Daniel
Edit: see above deleted post
Last edited by danieLion on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Page 169:
Sometimes it’s argued that a person in jh›na is “incapable of speech” or cannot hear sounds, but neither of these assertions is supported by the Cannon.
Perhaps the venerable doesn't include the Abhidhamma pitaka in the Tipitika?

Katthavatthu PTS translation by Aung and Davids pages 331-332.

[
b]XV1118 Of Hearing in Jhana[/b]
From the commentary [by Buddhaghosa] Controverted point - That one who has attained jhana hears sound."The opinion is held by some - the Pubbaseilyans , for instance- that because the Exalted one called sound a thorn to first jhana, and if sound if not heard cannot be thorn in the flesh of one who had attained that state, it was inferable that such a one was able to hear.
It takes over a page for the Theravada to show why this is wrong
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Robert,

It's unclear from your citation whether you're quoting from:

- Katthavatthu
- "From the commentary [by Buddhaghosa]"

The first being canonical, the second not. Can you clarify?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
robertk

Post by robertk »

The actual Katthavathu makes the point that sound can't be heard in jhana. Buddhaghosa elaborates in the commentray to it.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Robert,

Cool - thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."