shortening a Sunlun-sayado practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Anuar

shortening a Sunlun-sayado practice

Post by Anuar »

dear all,
is it possible to shorten a Sunlun-sayado practice of meditation when we use a comfortable pose and then it transforms to suffering, pain so that we should see it as a just unpleasant sensation.
I am a city-dweller so that I do not have enough time in working days to practice and imho it is possible to shorten that practice by using an uncomfortable pose in order to start observation (after hyperventilation) directly from pain.
I think it will allow to save time during working days (usual standard Sunlun-sayado practice of meditation may take 2 hours and more) and might shorten a way to enlightenment.
So what do you think ?
Cittasanto

Re: shortening a Sunlun-sayado practice

Post by Cittasanto »

To be honest I have never heard of this monk or his techneque before today so can not help there but do you have a link to it!

I am not sure if any one else here could help, but I whould say ask your teacher if you have one about this!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would say that adopting an uncomfortable posture to induce pain would be the wrong path of self-mortification. The three characteristics of anicca, dukkha, anatta can also be observed in pleasant sensations, and in mental states, so there is not special merit in observing painful sensations.

I think that the best way to use limited time more effectively is to improve your preparation before sitting. Choose the right time and place, keep the place as clean and quiet as far as possible, with good ventilation, etc.

Sunlun Sayādaw was one of the vipassanā teachers described in "Living Buddhist Masters" by Jack Kornfield. The Sayādaw is no longer living as that book was first published many years ago.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I would say that adopting an uncomfortable posture to induce pain would be the wrong path of self-mortification.
yeah but it makes you feel cool :tongue:
there seem to be many who think the harder the practice the better the results, i saw this in zen too...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Anuar

Post by Anuar »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I would say that adopting an uncomfortable posture to induce pain would be the wrong path of self-mortification. The three characteristics of anicca, dukkha, anatta can also be observed in pleasant sensations, and in mental states, so there is not special merit in observing painful sensations.
thank you, but if I am not mistaking Sunlun saydaw underlined that accent of his practice is to feel pain as just an unpleasant sensation, to overcome, to oversuffer the pain (applying all physical and mental efforts to hold a fixed posture)in order to become aware of anicca, dukkha and anatta.
With regard to this accent it was very logical for me to go on further and suggest that it will be much shorter to start from uncomfortable posture for direct awaring a pain as an unpleasant sensation.

Sure, as jcsuperstar said Sunlun saydaw practice is more "Zenish" because is very radical amongst other Southasian teachers, it's not a soft relaxed observation but a hard job through a wild pain.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Anuar,
Anuar wrote:Sure, as jcsuperstar said Sunlun saydaw practice is more "Zenish" because is very radical amongst other Southasian teachers, it's not a soft relaxed observation but a hard job through a wild pain.
Be careful then to remain mindful... once it becomes "the will" versus "pain", is there true mindfulness, or Is there an ignorant perception of self?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Basically Sunlun's Way of Breathing is based on Anapanasati.The Hard Breathing technique is a way for us to remain focus on our Breath. The min. 1 or 2 hours is just another schedule for us during a formal retreat. Outside retreat, set based on your need. Meditation do not constraint.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

JohnSo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:26 am Basically Sunlun's Way of Breathing is based on Anapanasati.The Hard Breathing technique is a way for us to remain focus on our Breath. The min. 1 or 2 hours is just another schedule for us during a formal retreat. Outside retreat, set based on your need. Meditation do not constraint.
It has as much to do with anapanasati as breaking wind does.