Is watching *just the mind's movement* bona fide?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
manas

Post by manas »

Hello all,

did the Buddha teach any sitting practice that comprised just observing wherever the mind is in the present moment? Not purposefully bringing it in to the body, or to anywhere else in particular, but rather, just observing whatever is apparent with equanimity, following it wherever it may go (with the exception of very unwholesome things), even observing how attentiveness itself ebbs and flows? In short, just keeping watch over the mind?

Kind regards
Last edited by manas on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
twelph

Re: Is watching *just the mind's movement* bona fide?

Post by twelph »

manas wrote:Hello all,

did the Buddha teach any sitting practice that comprised just observing wherever the mind is in the present moment? Not bringing it in to the body, or anywhere else in particular, but rather, just observing whatever is apparent with equanimity, even observing how attentiveness ebbs and flows? In short, just keeping watch over the mind?

Kind regards
Third tetrad of Anapanasati.
" He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in satisfying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out satisfying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.'
upekha

Post by upekha »

In the Satipathana sutta, cittanupassana is explained, where one is aware of the mind and Dhammaupassana is where one is aware of the mind states.

with metta
Ben

Post by Ben »

It depends how it is done.
A lot of great success can be made by observing the mind, indirectly via kayanupassana or vedananupassana and are excellent preliminary practices to cittanupassana or dhammanupassana, and can take one to Nibbana in their own right.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

manas wrote:Hello all,

did the Buddha teach any sitting practice that comprised just observing wherever the mind is in the present moment? Not purposefully bringing it in to the body, or to anywhere else in particular, but rather, just observing whatever is apparent with equanimity, following it wherever it may go (with the exception of very unwholesome things), even observing how attentiveness itself ebbs and flows? In short, just keeping watch over the mind?
Kinda. The satipattana sutta is clear that one is to discern how the hindrances are abandoned, and the factors of awakening are developed. While that requires knowing however the mind is at any given moment (when the mind has passion, discerns that the mind has passion... When the mind is restricted, he discerns that the mind is restricted. When the mind is scattered, he discerns that the mind is scattered... and so forth) it's not simply a matter of passively watching the mind do whatever indefinitely.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230