Standing meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
philosopher

Standing meditation

Postby philosopher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:53 am

Hello,

Is there any particular proper posture for standing meditation, or can it simply be taken in whatever standing posture is comfortable? Is against a wall not advised? Are there any guides out there regarding standing meditation?

Thank you!

-philosopher

tiltbillings

Re: Standing meditation

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 am

philosopher wrote:Hello,

Is there any particular proper posture for standing meditation, or can it simply be taken in whatever standing posture is comfortable? Is against a wall not advised? Are there any guides out there regarding standing meditation?

Thank you!

-philosopher
You would want a balanced, comfortable stance, and then you pay attention. Standing is a very dynamic posture, constantly changing. Experiment and see what works for you. Leaning against a wall would become leaning against the wall meditation.

++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

philosopher

Postby philosopher » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 am

Thanks, tiltbillings. I've been reading Ajahn Sucitto's _Meditation_ and it actually contains some detailed instructions for the ideal posture for standing meditation, in case anyone stumbles across this thread and needs a good resource.

:anjali:
philosopher

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 am

philosopher wrote:Thanks, tiltbillings. I've been reading Ajahn Sucitto's _Meditation_ and it actually contains some detailed instructions for the ideal posture for standing meditation, in case anyone stumbles across this thread and needs a good resource.

:anjali:
philosopher
Thanks. Here is a link to it:
http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/upl ... ucitto.pdf

++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Return to “Theravada Meditation”