Unpleaseant Breath...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Unpleaseant Breath...

Postby Beautiful Breath » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 pm

I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Re: Unpleaseant Breath...

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Beautiful Breath wrote:I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...

Yes, sometimes. Or it can feel rough, or even as though the body is labouring to pull down the diaphragm and open the ribcage. I found that it passed quite soon. I tried not to have any expectations about how it should feel, and it changed. Feelings associated with the breath, like all feelings, are impermanent.
Sam Vara

Postby monkey_brain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 am

Beautiful Breath wrote:I am actually beginning to feel that the sensation of the breath entering/leaving is unpleaseant. Its really cold here in the UK right now and the very cold breath entering particularly is putting me off....anyone else had this?

BB...

Mine is sometimes unpleasant in a different way. Sometimes, at the very end of the exhale, just a split second before the next inhale, there is the--not painful exactly--definitely unpleasant feeling of being out of air and needing air. It is situated at the bottom of the sternum for me, tending off to the right, at the bottom of the right lung. It's not quite pain, but almost like pain.
monkey_brain

Postby daverupa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm

If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:

MN 119 wrote:"He is resistant to cold, heat, hunger, thirst, the touch of gadflies & mosquitoes, wind & sun & creeping things; to abusive, hurtful language; he is the sort that can endure bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, sharp, stabbing, fierce, distasteful, disagreeable, deadly.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Beautiful Breath » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

daverupa wrote:If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:

MN 119 wrote:"He is resistant to cold, heat, hunger, thirst, the touch of gadflies & mosquitoes, wind & sun & creeping things; to abusive, hurtful language; he is the sort that can endure bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, sharp, stabbing, fierce, distasteful, disagreeable, deadly.

...no pressure then... :-D
Beautiful Breath

Postby daverupa » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:43 am

Consider it to be infusing the seven factors of awakening with upekkha.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Kenshou » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 am

daverupa wrote:If it is just cold, that's an asava to be endured. Kayagatasati is prescribed for this:

Ugh, the cold. There are things that I can deal with like this, but the cold is not one of them. In the middle of winter, it's all I can do to keep my constant mantra of "**** you nature" from blurting out. Gotama never had to deal with this, unless he went further up into Nepal than I am aware of.
Kenshou

Postby Beautiful Breath » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Kenshou wrote:

Ugh, the cold. There are things that I can deal with like this, but the cold is not one of them. In the middle of winter, it's all I can do to keep my constant mantra of "**** you nature" from blurting out. Gotama never had to deal with this, unless he went further up into Nepal than I am aware of.

:rofl:
Beautiful Breath

Return to Theravada Meditation