Pulse Interference Question

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Heaviside

Pulse Interference Question

Post by Heaviside »

While practicing breath awareness I frequently notice what seems to me to be a rather strange thing: as I breathe out, I begin to notice my pulse---to such an extent that my exhalation seems "jerky," rather than smooth, as it should be.

I have a wall clock in the room where I meditate that has a fairly loud (though not annoying) tick. The odd thing is that my pulse and the clock become synchronized, and this odd occurrence is highly distracting.

I can, of course, remove the clock to avoid the second problem. But can anyone suggest how to solve the first?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.
Mojo

Re: Pulse Interference Question

Post by Mojo »

You feel your pulse while breathing? Is it a constant awareness or something that pops up only when it is irregular? Are you feeling the pulse in your lungs?
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Just move your awareness back your meditation object. It's only a distraction because you make it so - in fact, it may be a sign of and calm mind a body.
I do meditation on the abdomen mahasi style, it's just the object that comes most naturally to me. I felt for some time that unless the abdomen was going in a smooth motion where the belly was going in and out it was going wrong. It annoyed me, a lot. To the point where when the abdomen got to the point of near disappearance I would get frustrated because I would then have nothing clear to focus on. Fixing posture helped, but ultimatly you have to realise there isn't a right or wrong way to breathe. Mindfulness in all states is what matters, as well as keeping well away from restless or distracted mind-states.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Heaviside

Post by Heaviside »

I feel the pulse in my abdomen, arms, neck, and head; that is, essentially everywhere. As Coyote says, I can treat it as a distraction---but the problem is doing so effectively. Am I correct in thinking that you are suggesting that if this phenomenon imposes itself I should just try to let it go and return to te breath? If so, that is easier said than done. I, too, am using the Mahasi method.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I dunno. How's your blood pressure?
Heaviside

Post by Heaviside »

Mojo wrote:I dunno. How's your blood pressure?
Good point! Borderline high. That's probably the problem.