Feeling really despondent...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: Feeling really despondent...

Postby Lazy_eye » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi BB #1,

Today I listened to a talk by Ajahn Jayasaro that I felt you might appreciate, as it goes to the heart of the problems you brought up in your post. So I'm posting the link here, in case you'd like to hear it too.

http://feeds.amaravati.org/dhammatalks7/Amaravati%202012%20-%2060%20%20-%20Skilful%20Desires%20-%20(English%20and%20Thai).mp3

His talk is about "Right Effort" and "Chanda" (wholesome desire). One of the things he discusses is the way in which Westerners are prone to seeing meditation in terms of an expected result, so that when the expected result doesn't occur, we lose heart.

I have to warn you that there are a few minutes of introductory formalities at the beginning, before he really gets into it. But the talk is worth a listen, I think.
Lazy_eye

Postby Digity » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:34 am

I enjoyed the talk.
Digity

Postby Digity » Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 pm

The last few days I've felt better about my practice. I'm noticing a shift internally to being more centered and calm...I'm starting to really believe that meditation works now. I hope this propels my practice further.
Digity

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation