Metta for the Bodhisatta and Those in the Pure Abodes

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Metta for the Bodhisatta and Those in the Pure Abodes

Postby bhavanirodha » Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 am

Dear friend in Dhamma,

It occured to me the other day while pratising metta-bhavana, as I was extending it to the different directions, I then thought to extend it to the different spheres of beings. At some point it occured to me to extend it specifically to the Bodhisatta (in one of the sense-sphere heavens, as I recall, the one that sounds like Tahiti) and also all those Non-Returners and Arahants in the Pure Abodes.

Questions:

1. Has anyone tried this before, or read about such a practice?

2. Is there anything risky, dangerous, arrogant or condascending implied by such an extension of metta?

3. If you are of the opinion that such practices of metta-bhavana can affect other beings at great distances or outside direct interactions (quantum-cetasika-entanglement?), do you think that such elevated beings are beyond such small help as my little 'metta-waves' or do they still benefit?

4. What is the Bodhisatta's current name?

Metta and peace,
bowing and thanks,
Andrew
bhavanirodha

Re: Metta for the Bodhisatta and Those in the Pure Abodes

Postby felipe » Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello Andrew, that is a beautiful practice :)

bhavanirodha wrote:1. Has anyone tried this before, or read about such a practice?

I have not, but it sounds nice, I will incorporate it and tell you how it goes.

bhavanirodha wrote:2. Is there anything risky, dangerous, arrogant or condascending implied by such an extension of metta?

Not at all, the point of metta meditation is to extend the love to all beings, in my opinion, it is only logical to reach the bodhisattvas at some point.
I recently heard a talk that explained how to generate good karma, and basically, when you do good deeds, bow, or have good feelings, etc... if you dedicate them to higher beings such as the Buddha, the karma you create is much better. Not to encourage anyone in dedicating the practice just to get better karma, but yes, it is definitely good, just remember humility and you will be fine.

bhavanirodha wrote:3. If you are of the opinion that such practices of metta-bhavana can affect other beings at great distances or outside direct interactions (quantum-cetasika-entanglement?), do you think that such elevated beings are beyond such small help as my little 'metta-waves' or do they still benefit?

Yes, they can affect, all thoughts and actions have an effect and this is not an exception.

bhavanirodha wrote:4. What is the Bodhisatta's current name?

I honestly don't know, but this is a list that might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bodhisattvas

Regards,
Felipe
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
felipe

Postby gavesako » Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 pm

In the "Chant of Metta" the radius encompasses every part of the universe:

As far as the highest plane of existence
to as far down as the lowest plane
in the entire universe
whatever beings that move on earth
may they be free from mental suffering & enmity
and from physical suffering and danger

Uddham yava bhavagga ca
adho yava avicito
samanta cakkavalesu
ye satta pathavicara
abyapajjha nivera ca
nidukkha ca nupaddava
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby fivebells » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 pm

This is kind of the easy end of the spectrum, isn't it? Could be useful, depending on what your objective in doing metta is at the moment.

It is perfectly safe.
fivebells

Postby bhavanirodha » Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 am

Dear all,

thank you all for your kind replies.

Metta,
Andrew
bhavanirodha

Postby 5heaps » Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 pm

its way more appropriate to take refuge in them than to have compassion for them--compassion means to want to take away someone's suffering, but such people have the cessation of suffering
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Return to Theravada Meditation