Ven. Ñanavira's Clearing the Path.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
pulga

Ven. Ñanavira's Clearing the Path.

Post by pulga »

I've been considering ordering the latest edition of Ven. Ñanavira's Clearing the Path. I have the first edition published in 1987, but would like to know how it compares with the newer, unedited version. If anyone has had the chance to compare the two, I'd be appreciative of your comments. Thank you.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
daverupa

Re: Recommended reading

Post by daverupa »

pulga wrote:I've been considering ordering the latest edition of Ven. Ñanavira's Clearing the Path. I have the first edition published in 1987, but would like to know how it compares with the newer, unedited version. If anyone has had the chance to compare the two, I'd be appreciative of your comments. Thank you.
You can read the Editor's Foreword in the 2003 edition here (.pdf, page ix).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
pulga

Post by pulga »

daverupa wrote: You can read the Editor's Foreword in the 2003 edition
This is the same Editor's Foreword as the 1987 edition. I believe the most recent edition includes the drafted letters in their entirety. While I trust that Ven. Bodhesako included all that was relevant in his edition, I'm still intrigued by what anecdotal information the manuscripts have to offer. I may be disappointed of course: the 2010 edition may have little to offer me, but I'm inclined to ascertain that for myself.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I hadn't heard of a later edition, so this is interesting news.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]