This is becoming a real problem now...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: This is becoming a real problem now...

Postby Anders » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:00 am

Beautiful Breath wrote:
Anders wrote:at wat pah nanachat, I was told how at least one student who was new to meditation was handed a copy of Zen Mind, Beginners Mind because "it says the same thing as what we're doing, but it's not as dry as the suttas."

I've been told similar things from monastics at Cittavevika. So it may be that the contradiction is more apparent than real.

Maybe try and contact someone like Ajahn Amaro who has some fair knowledge of mahayana teachings and talk to him about your contradictions between vipassana and shikantaza.

Thanks Anders,

Its not so much of a contradiction - on the contrary, I can see a parallel through all traditions - its the feeling compelled to imerse in one or the other thats the problem.

BB...

Hi bb,

If you recognise the two as being the same in function, can I ask : what, practically speaking, is the problem? What kind of obstacles does it create for you to train in a method sometimes with a flavour of 'chan' and sometimes with a flavour of 'theravada' if the method remains the same?

And what about the flavour of your own heart mind outside of traditions and schools? What is cultivation like for that?
Anders

Re: This is becoming a real problem now...

Postby Beautiful Breath » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am

Anders wrote:Hi bb,

If you recognise the two as being the same in function, can I ask : what, practically speaking, is the problem? What kind of obstacles does it create for you to train in a method sometimes with a flavour of 'chan' and sometimes with a flavour of 'theravada' if the method remains the same?

And what about the flavour of your own heart mind outside of traditions and schools? What is cultivation like for that?

Hi Anders,

Two great points. First of all seeing the empty nature of tradition is an intellectual exercise, does affect the compulsion one way or another. So the problem remains that in terms of 'choosing a path and sticking to it'. Currently this is not possible due to whatever mental or emotional mechanism it is that dictates that settling into a practice is not an option.

In terms of why I cannot sometimes practice Chan others other schools. If I knew the answer to that I would have solved this very personal koan of mine! If I am practicing Chan it HAS to be to the exclusion of all else. This is my quandary, anything else seems skewed and irrational.

Finally, the flavour of my own heart outside of traditions and schools? Well, thats why I am practicing, to experience just that.

Back to square one! :anjali:

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation