Meditation guide for kids?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Tex

Meditation guide for kids?

Post by Tex »

So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Crazy cloud

Re: Meditation guide for kids?

Post by Crazy cloud »

Hi, maybe this can be of interest .. metta :candle:

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This might be of use:

Guided meditation for Primary Students
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/med-guided2.pdf

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
reflection

Post by reflection »

Perhaps have a look at this. I think Thich Nhat Hahn's teaching style is quite inviting to children:

http://www.amazon.com/Planting-Seeds-Pr ... 1935209809
Tex

Post by Tex »

Excellent. Thanks, all!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I stumbled upon this site just couple of days ago.
http://www.children.dhamma.org/
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?
Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Zenainder wrote:
Tex wrote:So a friend of mine has gotten into meditation. She's read Mindfulness In Plain English, but that is a bit much for her 7 year-old son. Anyone have any recommendations for something more suitable for a youngster?
Yuttadhammo from out of Canada recently produced a candid production regarding meditation for children. He has them posted on his youtube channel. I will link them for you after work.
Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Zenainder wrote:
Hi - keep in mind thar we seem to be destined to experience odd dejavu's ... :tongue:

alredy given a sample of the above mentioned :bow:
I am sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to say. Are you stating that someone has already linked Bhikkhu Yuttadhammo's video for children? If so, I apologize for the redundancy I did not see it. :P

Metta,

Zen