Metta Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: Metta Meditation

Postby Rui Sousa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello Chris,

Chris wrote:generate warm feelings towards a particular being initially

The sequence I follow is, towards me, then my son *, my wife, my parents and brother, my whole family and friends, then some co-workers and neighbors to whom I have mostly neutral feelings, and then to those people a hold some kind of aversion, then people I do not know but who committed horrible crimes, the beings in the hell realm, the beings in the celestial realm, everywhere.

* at this point usually I remember the Karaniya Metta Sutta passage:

As a mother would risk her life
to protect her child, her only child,
even so should one cultivate a limitless heart
with regard to all beings.
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Rui Sousa wrote:Hello Chris,

Chris wrote:generate warm feelings towards a particular being initially

The sequence I follow is, towards me, then my son *, my wife, my parents and brother, my whole family and friends, then some co-workers and neighbors to whom I have mostly neutral feelings, and then to those people a hold some kind of aversion, then people I do not know but who committed horrible crimes, the beings in the hell realm, the beings in the celestial realm, everywhere.

* at this point usually I remember the Karaniya Metta Sutta passage:

As a mother would risk her life
to protect her child, her only child,
even so should one cultivate a limitless heart
with regard to all beings.

Wow, Rui Sousa, that seems like a very extensive and comprehensive practice! How long does your session usually last? How often do you practice it?

:namaste:
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Postby Rui Sousa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:33 am

Dhammakid wrote:Wow, Rui Sousa, that seems like a very extensive and comprehensive practice! How long does your session usually last? How often do you practice it?

:namaste:
Dhammakid

Well... :D

I may only take one minute, or less... I don't have any kind of routine, I just do it when I feel like it.

Sometimes I don't do the whole sequence, I may jump directly to the last step, sending that warm good feeling everywhere.

Another interesting thing is how, after sending Metta, Mudita may arise based on the idea that the Metta you are sending is working and all beings are already well. Then thinking again on those who are suffering, Karuna will arise. And finnaly thinking that beings suffer because of their ignorance, and that their kamma prevents them from developing wisdom any time soon, Equanitmity arises.

In my understanding these moments of consciousness are very beneficial to the practitioner, establishing a tendency to be friendly and maternal with all beings.
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:55 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,

I don't do it very often, but when I do I use (or based it on) Malcolm Huxter's guided MP3 meditation, downloadable at http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm

Metta,
Retro. :)

Wow :) I just listened to the 3rd of the 3. Thank you for the link.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby salaatti » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:04 pm

How often the person who metta is sent to, should be changed?
salaatti

Does metta-bhavana literally impact others?

Postby Jechbi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 am

bump
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mirco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:52 pm

I get what I give
mirco

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 pm

mirco wrote:
Manapa wrote:what method, or formula do you use?

A practical, bare-bones guide to Loving-Kindness Meditation

Dhamma Sukha Talks on Metta

:smile:

how have you found this practice from others out there?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby cooran » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 am

Hello all,

You may be interested in this audio of a talk by Ajahn Sujato on
A practical step by step way to metta meditation
http://my.thanhsiang.org/av/english/ssangha.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:03 pm

:twothumbsup:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Shonin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Thank you for sharing. Metta meditation is powerful and wonderful. And usually it's not given much attention. It's great that Ajahn Sujato is teaching this practice with the intensity, time and detail that it deserves.

:anjali:
Shonin

Postby Ytrog » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:53 pm

:thanks: Will look into it. Metta meditation is one of the most difficult meditations for me to do. :(
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby Jechbi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 am

bump
Jechbi

Postby cooran » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 am

Hello all,

Bhante Sujato's Retreat on Metta Meditation held recently in Western Australia:

Retreat taught by Ajahn Sujato at Jhana Grove focusing on Metta (Loving Kindness) Meditation
http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/downloads/ ... -2011.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Thought I would bump this thread?

Cittasanto wrote:what method, or formula do you use?
and for those in the know what are the principle Suttas on this topic?
allot of the methods I have seen seam to be mainly governed by the commentaries, but what is the Buddhas formula for metta meditation?

With Metta
Manapa
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby daverupa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 pm

what is the Buddhas formula for metta meditation?

It would seem that one "pervades [all] direction[s] with thoughts of" the brahmaviharas "in all circumstances, for all purposes", thoughts which are "grown great and measureless without ill will and anger."

MN 127 wrote:Householder, what is the limitless release of mind? Here, the bhikkhu pervades one direction with thoughts of loving kindness. Also the second, the third, the fourth, above, below and across, in all circumstances, for all purposes, pervades the whole world with thoughts of loving kindness, extensive, grown great and measureless without ill will and anger. The bhikkhu pervades one direction with thoughts of compassion,...re....intrinsic joy,...re.... equanimity. Also the second, the third, the fourth, above, below and across, in all circumstances, for all purposes, pervades the whole world with equanimity, extensive, grown great and measureless without ill will and anger. Householder, this is the limitless release of mind.

Are we able to understand

MN 118 wrote:...He trains himself, 'I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.'

as a method in this case?
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby befriend » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 pm

after a an hour or so of metta i will have incredibly pleasant dreams. it takes me about 4 minutes to fall asleep. i wake up and the morning is the best part of my day because my energy is so enthusiastic and bright from metta. it is an incredibly pleasant abiding. i also smile slightly all day, which makes my mind bright and happy.
befriend

Previous

Return to Theravada Meditation