YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

cultivating concentration - Dhamma Wheel

cultivating concentration

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
no mike

cultivating concentration

Postby no mike » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:59 am

In Anapanasati.. Over time, I have had success with not following emotional feelings or emotional ideas during meditation, as well as noticing initial thoughts about the past or future, and I am experiencing more peace during meditation; however, I seem to be following daydreams and novel contemplation when I am trying to keep my mind on single-pointedness at the nostrils. It seems my mental talking sneaks into my mind and I have difficulty turning it off. In addition to anapanasati, are there any exercises I can do daily that help towards improving concentration? Will routine walking meditation help to develop single-pointedness, and quiet my mind?

thank you

:heart:

contemplating

Re: cultivating concentration

Postby contemplating » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 pm

being mindful of the breath, and the mind itself throughout the day in whatever you happen to be doing will have direct implications in your meditation practice. I recommend listening to some of Thanissaro Bhikku's talks on the breath and mindfulness in general. Also Ajaan Lee has written some excellent material as well.

Go here:

press the control + F keys simultaneously..a search box will appear, then type in "breath"

There are around 90 talks covering the breath alone.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/

no mike

Re: cultivating concentration

Postby no mike » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Thank you, I will follow these leads. I think I have to let go of too much abstract contemplation and let myself follow breath for longer durations during day to day activities.

:heart:

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”