Anxiety when Peaceful

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Fitz

Anxiety when Peaceful

Post by Fitz »

Hi All-

I've been having a problem where anxiety arises when I'm settling on my meditation object, I've be doing silent present moment awareness. I think it's coming up because I'm trying to force myself to be peaceful. Any advice on letting go and just letting peace happen?

-Fitz
konchokzopa

Re: Anxiety when Peaceful

Post by konchokzopa »

stop suppressing your thoughts and observe them and learn to accept everything that arises in your mind without any judgement

these are some instructions that i have received. might be helpful in your case...

with metta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Fitz wrote:Hi All-

I've been having a problem where anxiety arises when I'm settling on my meditation object, I've be doing silent present moment awareness. I think it's coming up because I'm trying to force myself to be peaceful. Any advice on letting go and just letting peace happen?

-Fitz
You seem to get there on your own - first, you see a problem, then you see the surrounding context which hints at causes, then you think it's from forcing... so, stop forcing? Calm that mind-involvement...

:smile:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

also if the anxiety arises, you should just observe it and not start to think about it conceptually and judge it how its bad and unwanted etc. learn to love and be open to all.