Face is twisting

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
libraryman

Face is twisting

Post by libraryman »

Hi,
I have a question regarding my meditation. Since more than 3 years, after my first vipassana (Goenka) retreat, I have the feeling that my face is moving, twisting. Sometime if I feel more relax, all my upper body is twisting. Does anyone have an idea of what is it?
Thanks for any advices
Libraryman
bodom

Re: Face is twisting

Post by bodom »

From Bhante G:
Problem 3
Odd Sensations

People experience all manner of varied phenomena in meditation. Some people get itches. Others feel tingling, deep relaxation, a feeling of lightness or a floating sensation. You may feel yourself growing or shrinking or rising up in the air. Beginners often get quite excited over such sensations. As relaxation sets in, the nervous system simply begins to pass sensory signals more efficiently. Large amounts of previously blocked sensory data can pour through, giving rise to all manner of unique sensations. It does not signify anything in particular. It is just sensation. So simply employ the normal technique. Watch it come up and watch it pass away. Don't get involved.
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe10.html

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
kilanta

Post by kilanta »

libraryman wrote:Hi,
I have a question regarding my meditation. Since more than 3 years, after my first vipassana (Goenka) retreat, I have the feeling that my face is moving, twisting. Sometime if I feel more relax, all my upper body is twisting. Does anyone have an idea of what is it?
Thanks for any advices
Libraryman
Besides just being a hallucination you should not follow but just let it be, facial twisting feeling might be an indication of teeth-grinding at night. By talking to a few meditators who also grind their teeth while asleep, I've come to understand that certain twisting, tingling and cramping feelings on the face aren't just hallucinations but your facial and jaw muscles actually relaxing or contracting. I've been told a few times that my jaw is visibly clenched on the other side while being extremely relaxed on the other while meditation, producing a kind of semi-paralysis impression for a bystander. I don't notice this myself as a pain, just a twisting feeling on my face. The looks aren't everything, but obviously an unconscious clenching of ones jaw is not a good thing either.

In case you do suffer from bruxism, meditation probably helps, but consulting a dentist might be a good idea. In my case a dental splint has made things much easier.
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Thanks both of you for your answer. It's not painfull at all. It's only strange sensation. I will observe it and let it go!
Also, I don't think it's teeth-grinding, I ask around me and my dentist never talked to me about this, but when i sleep i'm talking a lot and sometime shouting. :smile:
Thanks again
:anjali: