tasty meditations ??!!

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Babadhari
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

tasty meditations ??!!

Postby Babadhari » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm

lately while practice Anapanasati meditation, as my mind quietens and my breath begins to become more shallow, my awarness of it is overtaken by the sensation of taste where the tip of the tongue is in contact with the mouth. the longer i sit, the more pronounced this taste becomes.

last night i just remained aware of the sensation of taste for as long as i could and found my level of concentration becoming stronger than it would on the breath, almost becoming 'absorbed' in the taste

does anyone have any references for meditating with sensation of taste as the object in sitting meditation. i know one should be mindful of taste when eating but i n regards to a sitting meditation should i just ignore it and keep concentrating on the breath?

i wonder is it a craving as ive began drinking coffee and eating biscuits again recently?

thanks for any advise or suggestions
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28

Mkoll
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: tasty meditations ??!!

Postby Mkoll » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm

kitztack wrote:i wonder is it a craving as ive began drinking coffee and eating biscuits again recently?

If you get that mouth-watering sensation like what happens in anticipation of a soon-to-arrive delicious dish, then I'd guess it's this.
Peace,
James

Babadhari

Postby Babadhari » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

:rofl: no drool coming out of my mouth, its a rather sour acidic taste which is in contrast to this chart on wikipedia
the tip being point4 which is the sweet sensing part of the tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_map
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

binocular

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:44 pm

kitztack wrote:i wonder is it a craving as ive began drinking coffee and eating biscuits again recently?

Lol. When did you last brush your teeth? :jumping:

No, seriously, it could have to do with beginning to eat coffee and biscuits. The composition of the saliva in the mouth can change due to the food one eats - and this is meant the composition of the saliva as it is produced by the body, not as it is mixed with the food in the mouth. I had a period where I suddenly got several cavities within a few months, even though I regularly brushed my teeth. My dentist told me that it is not enough to just brush teeth, floss and rinse. But that changes in the saliva occur due to the particular food one eats (it gets more acidic if one eats a lot of sweets and simple carbs), and due to stress, and this is something that oral hygiene cannot directly combat.

Babadhari

Postby Babadhari » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:56 pm

binocular wrote:

i had been contemplating that aspect too, i do only brush once a day last thing at night so that would leave roughly 24 hours between those brushings and i dont seem to have the same sensation on my tongue in the morning

that combined with the change in diet could very well be the cause , thanks binocular

i'll make a few changes and see what happens

Mkoll
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby Mkoll » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:03 pm

binocular wrote:

No, seriously, it could have to do with beginning to eat coffee and biscuits. The composition of the saliva in the mouth can change due to the food one eats - and this is meant the composition of the saliva as it is produced by the body, not as it is mixed with the food in the mouth. I had a period where I suddenly got several cavities within a few months, even though I regularly brushed my teeth. My dentist told me that it is not enough to just brush teeth, floss and rinse. But that changes in the saliva occur due to the particular food one eats (it gets more acidic if one eats a lot of sweets and simple carbs), and due to stress, and this is something that oral hygiene cannot directly combat.

Very useful information. Thanks!
Peace,
James

binocular

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Have you tried with fresh ginger? Just cut a small, thin piece like a lozenge and slowly suck on it, especially before going to bed, or during the day.
I used to have chronic rhinitis, used a number of medications, nothing helped. But ginger did.

Babadhari

Postby Babadhari » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:57 pm

gingers great, its one of the few things i have in the cupboard, its good for pain relief and stomach trouble too. i'll try your suggestion after brushing my teeth

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Keep your focus on the object of meditation which is your breath. Anything else that arises - is just a distraction.
As one develops calm and concentration, one becomes aware of subtler mental and physical phenomena. If you become distracted, return to the breath.
All the best,
Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Babadhari

Postby Babadhari » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Ben wrote:Keep your focus on the object of meditation which is your breath. Anything else that arises - is just a distraction.
As one develops calm and concentration, one becomes aware of subtler mental and physical phenomena. If you become distracted, return to the breath.
All the best,
Ben

still have the same sensation on my tongue tip but by constantly returning to the breath it becomes unnoticeable

thanks Ben

Return to “Theravada Meditation”