Buddho Mantra

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Buddho Mantra

Postby ShanYin » Thu May 29, 2014 7:10 pm

I have an active mind. It is hard to focus my thoughts on a subject. I've often heard people say things like 'you will never forget your blissful feelings in meditation' But I have in fact had blissful feelings, and I don't remember them.

I googled the "Buddo" mantra. Because I remember hearing about it that it is good for an active mind.

Recently I just tried to say Buddho, in my mind, while focusing on the effect of breathing on the belly. The sensations in the belly of breathing, the rising and falling. Is this the correct way or a good way to do the Buddho mantra? I used to focus on my nose-tip, but I find that to hard to do now, I don't really feel it on the nose.

I want to practice concentration so I will have an overly active, cloudy mind that cannot analyze and it out of touch.
ShanYin

Re: Buddho Mantra

Postby Mkoll » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Ajahn Lee wrote a piece on meditation that includes Buddho instructions.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/themes.html

Also, a lot of the other Thai forest masters have instructions related to "Buddho". Check out that same website: "Library >> Thai Forest".
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby acinteyyo » Thu May 29, 2014 10:15 pm

ShanYin wrote:Recently I just tried to say Buddho, in my mind, while focusing on the effect of breathing on the belly. The sensations in the belly of breathing, the rising and falling. Is this the correct way or a good way to do the Buddho mantra? I used to focus on my nose-tip, but I find that to hard to do now, I don't really feel it on the nose.

It is one way to do it and if it works for you it's a good way.
Here are two talks which I found useful:
Just Do it - Ajahn Chah
The Path to Arahantship <- search for the word "buddho" in the pdf or start reading at page 11 last paragraph
and I found this -> viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2552
best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby ShanYin » Fri May 30, 2014 2:19 am

Such knowledge in this forum. Thanks again.

Also, does Forest Dhamma Books ship copies of the books? I suppose I could print them off but it would probably be cheaper and would be nicer to have hard copies. I could pay shipping... I would have to email them I suppose. Forest Sangha Publications only ship to the UK.
ShanYin

Postby culaavuso » Fri May 30, 2014 2:32 am

ShanYin wrote:I suppose I could print them off but it would probably be cheaper and would be nicer to have hard copies.

The book Keeping the Breath in Mind and Lessons in Samadhi by Ven. Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo includes instructions on meditation methods using "Buddho". A printed copy of the book is available from Wat Mettavanaram's free book program.
culaavuso

Postby jollybean » Sat May 31, 2014 6:17 am

Here's a rare teaching by Ajahn Sao, the teacher of Ajahn Mun, on the topic of Buddho meditation...

In our day and age, the practice of going into the forest to meditate and follow the ascetic dhutanga practices began with Phra Ajaan Sao Kantasilo, the teacher of Phra Ajaan Mun and, by extension, Phra Ajaan Singh and Phra Ajaan Lee. Phra Ajaan Sao was inclined to be, not a preacher or a speaker, but a doer. When he taught his students, he said very little. And those who studied directly under him are now elders who speak very little, who rarely preach, having picked up the habit from their teacher. Thus, as Phra Ajaan Sao was not a preacher, I would like to tell you a little of the way in which he taught meditation.

How did Phra Ajaan Sao teach? If it so happened that someone came to him, saying, "Ajaan, sir, I want to practice meditation. How should I go about it?" he would answer, "Meditate on the word 'Buddho.'"

If the person asked, "What does 'Buddho' mean?" Ajaan Sao would answer, "Don't ask."

"What will happen after I've meditated on 'Buddho'?"

"Don't ask. Your only duty is simply to repeat the word 'Buddho' over and over in your mind."

That's how he taught: no long, drawn-out explanations.

You can read more about it here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/phut/sao.html
jollybean

Postby Jetavan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:35 pm

jollybean wrote:Here's a rare teaching by Ajahn Sao, the teacher of Ajahn Mun, on the topic of Buddho meditation...

If the person asked, "What does 'Buddho' mean?" Ajaan Sao would answer, "Don't ask."

"What will happen after I've meditated on 'Buddho'?"

"Don't ask. Your only duty is simply to repeat the word 'Buddho' over and over in your mind."

In other words, Don't Ask; Don't Tell.
Jetavan

Return to Theravada Meditation