Tips for a noisy meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
walkart

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by walkart »

greeneggsandsam wrote: Yes, I think this is the easiest way around it... I usually meditate at night when everyone is asleep, because I am terrible at waking early :zzz:
The difficulty in the waking aerly is the path between bad and shower.

Also your difficulty is may be the result of not respecting the sleeping cycles. One sleeping cycle is about 1h30, so if you wake up in the middle of the last cycle - it's trublesome.

So, to wake up in a better way you have to do it after 1h30 or 3h00 or 4h30 or 6h00 or 7h30 or 9h00 of sleeping etc. Not between.
greeneggsandsam

Post by greeneggsandsam »

walkart wrote:
greeneggsandsam wrote: Yes, I think this is the easiest way around it... I usually meditate at night when everyone is asleep, because I am terrible at waking early :zzz:

Also your difficulty is may be the result of not respecting the sleeping cycles. One sleeping cycle is about 1h30, so if you wake up in the middle of the last cycle - it's trublesome.

So, to wake up in a better way you have to do it after 1h30 or 3h00 or 4h30 or 6h00 or 7h30 or 9h00 of sleeping etc. Not between.
that is very interesting, I will try and be systematic with my cycling!
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Obviously your living environment is completely unknown to me...
My room has a door with a small window in it....the family I am with, know not to "disturb" me when my door is closed and I have drawn the little curtain over the frosted window (which is not see-thru in any case....)
At other times, if the door is closed, and uncurtained, they knock. Most of the time, I leave it wide open....

Can you not try to discuss these distractions with them, reach a compromise, ask them to not disturb you, or go to a separate place in the house where you can sit quietly and not be assailed too much by their noise?
Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in my bedroom to meditate, it is very small. I live in a crowded house and unfortunately I am the only practicing buddhist, so they don't see the point in what I am doing, and yes I have tried to explain and ask for compromise but so far has proven unsuccessful :shrug:
If you think nibbana is better than samsara, then you've missed the point - Ajahn Sumedho
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Do you live with family, or is it shared accommodation with fellow tenants....?

The former is bad luck, :console: the latter could be changed.....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Weakfocus

Post by Weakfocus »

greeneggsandsam wrote:Any useful tips on how to not get distracted by such noise??
Use earplugs. There are many different types, some are more comfortable than others, some are cheaper than others.

I use cheap reusable/washable earplugs for all my sittings since I live in an extremely noise polluted enviornment, they have worked well for me.
walkart wrote: Also your difficulty is may be the result of not respecting the sleeping cycles. One sleeping cycle is about 1h30, so if you wake up in the middle of the last cycle - it's trublesome.
Good point. Sleepytime might be beneficial for those planning to wake to alarms.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

walkart wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Can you give a link or source for that information?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
walkart

Post by walkart »

Mkoll wrote: Interesting, I didn't know that. Can you give a link or source for that information?
Actually i have not any link, i read it in a book.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

A book is a source. What book?
walkart

Post by walkart »

Mkoll wrote:A book is a source. What book?
In that book it's not much developped. This book talk about efficace learning, and don't exist in english.

Actualy it's said that sleeping cycle is aboout 1h30 (90min). That per night we have about 6/5 or 4 cycles, and if we want to sleep less we can delete one or more cycles. And this cycle period is due to our ancient forest mode of life, where it is dangerous to sleep for a long period and it's safer to sleep by short cycles.

It's all that i know. :thinking:
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

Mkoll wrote:
walkart wrote: Also your difficulty is may be the result of not respecting the sleeping cycles. One sleeping cycle is about 1h30, so if you wake up in the middle of the last cycle - it's trublesome.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Can you give a link or source for that information?
This is indeed accurate. A simple google search will provide an abundance of sources, many scientific, others experiential, confirming this. My years of personal experience experimenting with my sleep cycles as a means of inducing out of body experiences and lucid dreaming have confirmed this without a doubt. Steven LaBerge comes to mind as one of the pioneers in sleep and dream research, perhaps check him out. ;)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Very cool. So it sounds like 6 or 7.5 hours is a good amount for a full night's sleep, depending on how much sleep your body needs. 9 hours is likely to be too much.
VinceField

Post by VinceField »

Sounds about right, although there are theories that humans were actually designed to sleep in smaller segments spaced out throughout a 24 hour period, usually consisting of one to three cycles per sleep segment, as it is said that this is how early humans slept before the creation of industrial societies and electricity.

I actually sleep this way about half of the week due to my work schedule. On the the three days I have to wake up early I usually sleep for three cycles, and then sleep for another one or two cycles about 5 hours later. Although I am usually pretty tired for the initial waking period, I feel fully rested after the second sleep segment. This sleep schedule is also extremely beneficial for inducing lucid dreams and out of body experiences, for at the end of the second segment one's body and mind are naturally in the ideal conditions and it is a nearly effortless process. With proper intention and technique these experiences are almost guaranteed at the end of the second segment.

Dreams normally occur at the end of each sleep cycle for the average person, so awaking after a dream is an indicator that a full cycle of sleep has just been completed. This may help if you are interested in keeping track of your sleep cycles.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

VinceField wrote:Dreams normally occur at the end of each sleep cycle for the average person, so awaking after a dream is an indicator that a full cycle of sleep has just been completed. This may help if you are interested in keeping track of your sleep cycles.
Good to know, thanks.
Denisa

Sleep cycles and detoxification

Post by Denisa »

When playing with sleep cycles better not to mess with the natural detoxification process of the body. Otherwise we might end up with cancer. Years back I read about this in a research article which is not available online, but if someone interested this might be helpful.