Nibbana under the effect of ayahuasca

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mkoll

Re: Nibbana under the effect of ayahuasca

Post by Mkoll »

Panegalli wrote:Ok, but reality is always reality, and if it is useful to take ayahuasca, i think it should be recommended.
Delusion is always delusion.

I've done an ayahuasca analogue once before, using different plants from traditional ayahuasca but containing the same chemicals needed for the experience, namely DMT and an MAOI. I perceived the presence of aliens and dinosaurs and there were times of intense hopelessness and intense ecstasy. Definitely the strongest drug I ever used and the most foul tasting liquid I've ever drunk. I can still bring up a gag reflex just remembering the taste in the back of my throat.

I could see how someone could delude themselves into believing something as grandiose as having achieved Nibbana after using the drug. But, it takes a certain kind of already susceptible personality to actually believe that about themselves. Certain Christians might believe they met Christ or are Christ, certain Hindus might believe they've met Krishna or Shiva or have become Krishna or Shiva, and certain Buddhists might believe they've achieved Nibbana. It's delusion conditioned by one's beliefs, that's all.

I wasn't Buddhist when I used it. I don't recommend it now.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Panegalli

Post by Panegalli »

walkart wrote:
Panegalli wrote:
Unshakeable faith in the buddha, the dhamma and the sangha.
No angry thoughts towards other beings.
No attachment to rites and rituals.
No view of self
Stream enterer have fruit of Dhamma eye, not fruit of Nibbana.

Is this person is you?

Yes
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

So from your very first post, you intended some form of deceit by stipulating that the person experiencing this was someone you know - whereas, in fact, you were speaking about yourself?

No, someone who has Gone Beyond, an arahant, a person who has attained Nibbana, does not need to lie, obscure or use subterfuge.

You have not attained Nibbana.
In fact, I would say you are clinging to the hope that someone will agree with you, because it's what you'd like to think.

But frankly, an awakened person has no need to ask.
Hence my initial doubt, which you have just confirmed.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Panegalli wrote:I just want to raise the topic on ayahuasca, I know a person that has attained nibbana under its influence, maybe it would be a good discussion of on the 5th precept. What would you say about it?
I would say they didn't actually attain nibbana.

:anjali:
Panegalli

Post by Panegalli »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:So from your very first post, you intended some form of deceit by stipulating that the person experiencing this was someone you know - whereas, in fact, you were speaking about yourself?

No, someone who has Gone Beyond, an arahant, a person who has attained Nibbana, does not need to lie, obscure or use subterfuge.

You have not attained Nibbana.
In fact, I would say you are clinging to the hope that someone will agree with you, because it's what you'd like to think.

But frankly, an awakened person has no need to ask.
Hence my initial doubt, which you have just confirmed.
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to do that, I didn't feel I lied because I am a person I know.
Panegalli

Post by Panegalli »

seeker242 wrote:
Panegalli wrote:I just want to raise the topic on ayahuasca, I know a person that has attained nibbana under its influence, maybe it would be a good discussion of on the 5th precept. What would you say about it?

perhaps you are right, but I did have a very useful experience.
TheNoBSBuddhist

It's called 'being economical with the truth' and it's not what you said necessarily; it was the intention behind it.
You were hesitant or reluctant to reveal this 'person you know' was you, in order to deflect criticism.

I repeat:
You have been nowhere 'near' Nibbana.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Panegalli wrote:
seeker242 wrote:

:thumbsup:

That's a better view to have than your OP.
TheNoBSBuddhist

You are the most splendid arbiter, Mkoll.... :sage:

Panegalli

Post by Panegalli »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:It's called 'being economical with the truth' and it's not what you said necessarily; it was the intention behind it.
You were hesitant or reluctant to reveal this 'person you know' was you, in order to deflect criticism.

I repeat:
You have been nowhere 'near' Nibbana.
I didn't want to reveal that it was me because it would make people more resistant to my sugestion.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

daverupa wrote:
Viscid wrote:I'm planning to do Ayahuasca this September...
Come for the sensory chaos, stay for the increased gastrointestinal motility?

:tongue:
:rofl:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

DN 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta wrote: In any doctrine & discipline where the noble eightfold path is not found, no contemplative of the first... second... third... fourth order [stream-winner, once-returner, non-returner, or arahant] is found.
walkart

Post by walkart »

Panegalli wrote:
Yes
Thank you for your truthfull answer.
I dont know if you reached any fruit but i supposed to belief peoples and i hope that this experiance will alow you to develop your wholesome qualities and abandon unwholesome.

I dont know if it's possible now, but can you describe what you have experianced ?

seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Panegalli wrote:
seeker242 wrote:

Perhaps you did! :smile: But that does not necessarily mean it was a good or wise thing to do. For example, if you put all your money on black at the roulette table, and the ball lands on black and you double your money, you could say that was a very useful experience, since you doubled your money! That is a very good outcome! But at the same time, just because you doubled your money does not mean it was good or wise to gamble with all the money to begin with. The end alone does not justify the means. The Buddha taught it's better to make sure the means are skillful and wise. Skillful means have no downside risk, unlike gambling which is inherently risky.

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Panegalli wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:How do they manifest this?
What leads either you or him to definitely ascertain it is Nibbana?
Unshakeable faith in the buddha, the dhamma and the sangha.
No angry thoughts towards other beings.
No attachment to rites and rituals.
No view of self
Hi, had the same four "fruits" my self, a couple of years ago - no drugs, just a big bite of good old dhukka deluxe :tongue: That state of mind lasted about 6 months, and surely it wasn't nibbana, sorry to say ;) But it made me glued to the eight fold path. Even had some abilities to read minds as well, and where seeing some strange sights, that I still don't understand

Actually I'm happy that the job isn't completly done, because it's kind of fun to strive in this path walking business - what to do when there's no more road ahead?! .. :juggling:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters