The Lotus - Getting there.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
manas

Re: Getting Into Lotus Posture

Post by manas »

TiltedSquare wrote:I've always meditated in half-lotus position, and have just recently tried getting in full lotus (not for meditation...yet). I'm having a little trouble though. There is pain from my upper ankle bone digging into the bottom leg. Also, there is a constant feeling that my legs are going to come unlocked –– As if the bottom leg is slipping downward. I'm guessing the latter has to due with flexibility, or lack there of.

So, my question is, what is a solution to the ankle problem, and what are some good ways to stretch and prepare myself for full lotus posture? Thanks in advance.
Hi TiltedSquare
If your body is still young (and/or in reasonable condition), you could enrol in a hatha-yoga class with a reputable intructor. The hatha-yoga postures are designed to make the body fit for sitting long periods in meditation without discomfort. (I'm turning 43 and have a left knee that clicks in an out of joint...I'm sticking with half-lotus for the duration of this lifetime!)

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
mikenz66

Re: The Lotus - Getting there.

Post by mikenz66 »

Were none of the above useful? Such as: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#p11228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike