Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Buddho

Post by PeterB »

Is there any one with some experience of Buddho that would like to say a word of advice or encouragement ?
Jechbi

Re: Buddho

Post by Jechbi »

You probably saw this
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Not really Jechbi thank you. Very interesting. I was wondering if there are forum members who have practised this for a while ?
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I have practiced this technique on and of for years as part of anapanasati. It is very good for centering the mind but (if you pay attention to what Ajahn Lee says) you'll notice that once you have the breath firmly in mind you can let go. I, personally, take this to mean that I let go of "bud-dho" when I get to the stage of evaluating the breath as it really isn't to be used as a mantra in Ajahn Lee's description. Then again, if you're getting good results without coordinating it with the breath then by all means don't let someone else's opinion stop you. Whatever you do good luck and I wish you success. :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Thank you Khalil Bodhi. I guess i was thinking of it like a mantra. I was introduced to Buddho by Ajahn Munindo some years ago while he was still at Chithurst, it has " lain fallow" ever since, but recently I have found myself interested in a serious practice of it.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Is it fundamentally any different to other words used to focus the mind on the breath (e.g. 'in / out')?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BudSas

Post by BudSas »

retrofuturist wrote: Is it fundamentally any different to other words used to focus the mind on the breath (e.g. 'in / out')?
Yes and No. IMHO, it's no different to other words for those who are culturally unfamiliar with the word "Buddho" (eg Westerners, or Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc). It's popular with the Thais, Laos, Cambodians (or those with strong Pali influence) because in their daily language, the word "Buddho" already has a deep imprint of the Buddha's image in their mind: beside being just a sound to keep the mind from wandering, it is also a wholesome object to focus.

In my own experience, sometimes I feel the word "Buddho" is too short to focus and becomes boring, I use the string: "Bud-dho Dham-mo Sang-ho" (the Triple Gem) to keep my monkey mind from wandering.

BDS
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Interesting thank you BudSas
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

so peter are you still sitting with buddho? how has it worked out for you ?
i've recently become very interested in buddho...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I havent really jcsuperstar. Its not that I have lost interest, and intend to start exploring it. In fact your post has acted as a wake up..thank you.

:anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Peter,

Look in the Archive (put Buddho in website 'search') at Inward Path and order a free copy of the booklet Buddho by Ajahn Tate.
http://www.inwardpath.org/ipp2u/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

cooran wrote:Hello Peter,

Look in the Archive (put Buddho in website 'search') at Inward Path and order a free copy of the booklet Buddho by Ajahn Tate.
http://www.inwardpath.org/ipp2u/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
You can read it online here:

Buddho by Phra Ajaan Thate Desaransi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... uddho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Sorry just seen that jechbi already posted the link.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

cooran wrote:Hello Peter,

with metta
Chris
it's a good book, i recently reread it! you can read it on A2I too like most of ajahn Thanissaro's translations
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Thanks everyone..

bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi Peter

Ive recently came across this article called Seeking Buddho from Ajahn Anan Akincano a disciple of Ajahn Chah. It is excellent.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Buddho.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB