Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Re: Buddho

Post by bodom »

In order to assist those who have difficulties in controlling the mind, it is suggested that they attach to words like ‘Buddho’by saying mentally ‘Bud’ while inhaling and ‘Dho’ while exhaling. To attach the mind to the word ‘Buddho’ is very useful and helpful. The word ‘Buddho’ is popularly used among the Thai meditators because ‘Buddho’ represents the Buddha’s name meaning ‘one who knows, one who always awakes, and one who is always in high spirits’. Keeping this word in the mind makes one’s mind peaceful all the time and one also gains merit every time one breaths with attachment to this word.

Ven. Phra Tepvisuddhikavi

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

The word ‘Buddho’, used as a mantra in meditation practice, is very useful for beginners of meditation since it can stop the mind from wavering or wandering outside. But after practicing until one is proficient in it, the word ‘Buddho’ will automatically disappear. At that stage, one has already been trained and well-versed in knowing the in and out breaths. This is similar to the practice of ABC writing; at first one must use a ruler or lined paper to write on but after one is well-trained, one can write well without using the lines.
Ven. Phra Tepvisuddhikavi

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

So using the breath, the normal breathing, dont try to control anything. Its not like you have to breathe in a certain way or control the breath-just the way youre experiencing it. Just let it be that way, and use that, just the inhalation, exhalation, rising, falling..because thats happening right now. Its just what it is, its natural, its nature. Its just the way it is. And your a witness to it, because you recognize youre in the position of the Buddho, or the knower, the witness.

In the the Thai forest tradition they use this mantra a lot called Buddho, which is the name of the Buddha-Awakened Knowing. Its conscious knowing. When we took the refuges last evening, we took refuge in the Buddha. So now your actually in the position of the witness, the knowing. Its the Buddho, knowing the way it is, the breath is like this...Buddho helps you to focus and remember to just use the breath as a focus...to begin to recognize awareness.

Ajahn Sumedho

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

We use this word Buddho, the name "Buddha" itself, the one who knows. Its a significant word because it is pointing to a state of attention, of knowing directly, of intuitive awareness, of wisdom. So theres no person. If I say " Im Buddha," then thats coming from personality again, from identity. Thinking "I am the Buddha" doesnt work. We have refuge in Buddha: Buddham saranam gacchami. Thats a kind of convention too, but it points to a reality that we can begin to trust in, which is awareness-because the Buddha is Buddho, the one who knows, that which knows,which is awake and aware. Its awakeness. Its not judgemental or critical.
Ajahn Sumedho

http://books.google.com/books?id=TqKbrm ... CDAQ6AEwBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

When you see yourself in personaml terms as someone who needs to get something or get rid of something, you limit yourself to being someone who has to get something you dont yuet have or get rid of something you shouldnt have. So we reflecton this and learn to be the witness, Buddho-that which is awake and aware, which listens to and knows personality views and emotional states without taking them personally....Thats why this awareness, this awakeness, is the essence of the Buddhist teaching. Buddho simply means awakened awareness.
Ajahn Sumedho

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Whatever impinges on you, whether you are sitting, standing, walking, lying down, tired or rested, happy or sad, succeeding or failing-whatever way the world goes or changes-there is still the centerpoint, there is still the point of knowing. Buddho is this centerpoint and knows the Dhamma.
Ajahn Sumedho

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

When we develop awareness, were coming from intuitive awareness rather than from personal eperience. So when we epress everything in a personal way, it tends to give the impression of something; it reinforces the sense of "me" and "mine" as a personality, as "my" reality. Whereas Pali terms are not meant to be taken in a personal way. "Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha" is not some personal mode of expression, but points to the reality we experience right here and now. So when I use this word "Buddho" or "Buddha", this is not meant to be some kind personal achievement or identity; it points to the pure knowing, pure subjectivity, before the personality arises. This is like intuitive intelligence-its universal intelligence, not a personally acquired knowledge. So I just keep pointing to this "Buddho" that we recognize through being fully present, fully attentive to the present moment, Then it is like composing, bringing your scattered mind to this one point, here and now.
Ajahn Sumedho

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

“BUDDHO is something cool and calm.
It’s the path for giving rise to peace and contemned —
the only path that will release us from
the suffering and stress in this world.”
ajaan thate
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:
ajaan thate
:thumbsup:

Just ordered Buddho from Wave. I wanted his other books, Flavor of the Dhamma and Steps Along the Path but they were out.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

for some reason i was flipping through emptying the rose apple seat by Sayadaw Dr.Rewata Dhamma and it mentions using buddho, which is the 1st I've seen it outside of the Thai traditions. i cant find the book online though :(
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

bodom wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:
ajaan thate
:thumbsup:

Just ordered Buddho from Wave. I wanted his other books, Flavor of the Dhamma and Steps Along the Path but they were out.

you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:
Good luck. Flavor of the Dhamma is a bit of a rarity it seems. I checked out Inward Path but it says they only take Paypal as payment which I dont have. :tantrum:

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

so i got this book
Buddhism in Practice
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Practice ... ap_title_1

and it has a chapter that is a translation of an old Thai meditation text, and in it it teaches one how to use buddho, but the text was written in 1900 by a monk named Pannawong bhikkhu and believe to be the style of teaching of his teacher Khruba Khamphira, and thought to be the meditation practiced in the northern area.

it has one recite buddho while using a mala,and recolections of the Buddha's virtues. quite interesting!

but this points to buddho predating the ajaan Sao/Mun forest tradition...

my research continues!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

bodom

Post by bodom »

Very interesting. Good find Jc. Ill have to check that book out.

- BB
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

Good work in finding that, Jcsuperstar! Wouldn't we all like to know where 'buddho' as a meditation object started?

(Laughs) I have a *completely unfounded* hypothesis that it was a back influence from Chinese Mahayana Buddhism on Thai Buddhism. The practice of reciting 'buddho', especially using beads, does show at least a superficial similarity to the Mahayanist practice of reciting Buddha's names, e.g. 'Amituofo'. But that's merely speculation.
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=