The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by bodom »

Guy wrote:
Guy wrote:I'm going on my first ever 9-day retreat tomorrow...should be good.
It was really really really really ... good. I will go back again in June for another 9-day retreat. I didn't get enlightened this time, but hopefully I will next time.
:thumbsup:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

1 hour metta/anapanasati.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

Hi Everyone,

I am presently doing 20 min morning and 20 min afternoon meditation. Intend to increase this to at least 25 X 2 min in May.

I start off my sitting meditation with anapanasati (breath awareness) and switch to vipassana as soon as I achieve a measure of calm. I work back and forth between these two modes of practice; mainly switching to anapanasati whenever my mind becomes too 'scattered' and needs to be calmed. This method (i.e. switching between these two modes) works quite well for me.

Do any of you see a "drawback" in switching between the two modes of practice in a single session?
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Here is my schedule when I am not busy (saturdays, sundays and days off):

3 am - 6 am : 3 hours ; 9:30 am - 12:30 : 3 hours ; 3:30 pm - 7:30 pm : 4 hours. With additional 10 mn after each session for metta bhavana = about 10 hours altogether :)

In the worst case (extremely busy day) it gets down to:
3 am - 6 am ; 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm

On average, I meditate 7 hours a day. I consider extending it to 8 by waking up at 2 am instead of 3 am and meditate early in the morning for 4 hours instead of 3 hours previously. But it might be difficult because I am experiencing very deep burning sensations from inside these days.

I have no family and I stay home all the time. I get out only for work or to buy groceries.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Refugee,
Refugee wrote: Do any of you see a "drawback" in switching between the two modes of practice in a single session?
There are a few teachers around these days who say that there is no such thing as "samatha" or "vipassana" meditation, instead, they say that they are aspects of the mind which are developed in meditation practice.

Ajahn Brahm uses the simile of a couple going up a mountain called "Meditation Mountain". The man is called "Mr. Sam Atha", he is going up the mountain because it is so calm and peaceful up there. The woman is called "Mrs. Vi Passana", she is going up there because she wants to see the beautiful view from the top of the mountain. Their dog, who happens to be called "Metta", comes up the mountain with them.

As they go higher and higher up the mountain Sam becomes more and more peaceful, but he also takes in the scenery. Vi enjoys the nice views, but she also finds it to be a very peaceful experience. Meanwhile, the higher up they go, Metta the dog wags his tail more and more.

In other words, the higher up "Meditation Mountain" you go the more stillness, insight and happiness comes to you regardless of what you started climbing for.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

Guy wrote:Hi Refugee,
Refugee wrote: Do any of you see a "drawback" in switching between the two modes of practice in a single session?
There are a few teachers around these days who say that there is no such thing as "samatha" or "vipassana" meditation, instead, they say that they are aspects of the mind which are developed in meditation practice.

Ajahn Brahm uses the simile of a couple going up a mountain called "Meditation Mountain". The man is called "Mr. Sam Atha", he is going up the mountain because it is so calm and peaceful up there. The woman is called "Mrs. Vi Passana", she is going up there because she wants to see the beautiful view from the top of the mountain. Their dog, who happens to be called "Metta", comes up the mountain with them.

As they go higher and higher up the mountain Sam becomes more and more peaceful, but he also takes in the scenery. Vi enjoys the nice views, but she also finds it to be a very peaceful experience. Meanwhile, the higher up they go, Metta the dog wags his tail more and more.

In other words, the higher up "Meditation Mountain" you go the more stillness, insight and happiness comes to you regardless of what you started climbing for.

With Metta,

Guy
Thank you, Guy, for this interesting post.
Metta,
Refugee
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
bodom

Post by bodom »

45 minutes metta/anapanasati.

- BB
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

hope i can do daily 40-50 min in morning and 40-50 min in evening
and in weekends at 1 hour morning and 1 hour evening...
will see!!

metta
:namaste:
bodom

Post by bodom »

1 hour walking meditation.

I was able to get it in while my daughter napped. Thank you Maya! I find it better to walk than sit while she naps. Too many times I have sat down, got into posture, set the alarm for an hour and ten minutes in I hear her crying lol. Best just to walk so if i need to check on her im already in posture!

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

50 minutes walking.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

- BB
living peacefully

Post by living peacefully »

30 minutes walking :anjali: