The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
James the Giant

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by James the Giant »

Feathers wrote:Hi!
This is a pathetically small amount, but if I stick to it for a week it will be more discipline and consistency than I've ever managed before. I'm trying to be realistic.
Good work for being realistic! Even that small amount is nothing to be sneezed at. And good luck.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Feathers wrote:Another two lengths of the room (mostly to get some feeling back in my legs)
Hahaha good to know I'm not the only one who does that.

Good to see you're starting up a practice. Please let us all know how it's going.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
Feathers wrote:Another two lengths of the room (mostly to get some feeling back in my legs)
Hahaha good to know I'm not the only one who does that.

Good to see you're starting up a practice. Please let us all know how it's going.
Well it's . . . let's be honest, not really going :p It's been a horrible few weeks with deadline after deadline, but term is now over, so I am going to try and get started again. I have to admit, I have actually missed doing metta.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Feathers wrote:
Well it's . . . let's be honest, not really going :p It's been a horrible few weeks with deadline after deadline, but term is now over, so I am going to try and get started again. I have to admit, I have actually missed doing metta.
The important thing is to not be too hard on yourself. Sometimes, the right conditions don't present themselves. The important thing is to keep on applying the effort. In time, greater opportunities will present themselves and take advantage of them when they occur.
Wishing you all the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Before you all, I make the strong resolution to meditate every day. :buddha1:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Before you all, I make the strong resolution to meditate every day. :buddha1:
Well done on your adhitthana, MP.
I wish you every success!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you Ben! :)

Just finished my meditation, even if it was short. Baby steps. :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Right here we go again. My exams are over, I've had a few days' sleep, and the world in general is looking a little better. So the plan is 15mins morning, 15mins evening of sitting - starting with present moment awareness and hopefully getting to focus on the breath. I'll also chuck some metta in at some point, but starting out with those two 15mins . . . I've just downloaded the Insight Timer app, if anyone uses it and wants to add me . . . well my name is Deborah. Not sure how you actually find people :p
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Feathers wrote:Right here we go again. My exams are over, I've had a few days' sleep, and the world in general is looking a little better. So the plan is 15mins morning, 15mins evening of sitting - starting with present moment awareness and hopefully getting to focus on the breath. I'll also chuck some metta in at some point, but starting out with those two 15mins . . . I've just downloaded the Insight Timer app, if anyone uses it and wants to add me . . . well my name is Deborah. Not sure how you actually find people :p
Good job! I usually try to sit for 50 minute in the morning (between 4:30am and 5:30 am EST ) and around 35 minutes in the evening. I'll keep my eyes peeled and will make a group for the Dhamma Wheel Meditation challenge. :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Hey all,

I downloaded that insight timer app, then searched for dhammawheel; KB has already made a group, so join up.

And I'm just putting this pledge out there: I'm going to renew my daily meditation practice in the simplest way possible, by meditating each day for no fewer than 10 minutes a day. Of course, I hope to grow that into something larger. As it is, though, I'll settle for this modest goal.

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, Khalil Bodhi has done a fantastic job in setting up the Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge and the Uposotha Club groups. I think the app can be a very positive tool for people who are seeking additional motivation, structure and support for their meditation practice.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I just want to share an experience of mine that has given me the discipline I needed to have a daily practice. I'm a lazy person, so for me to have a daily practice was always a nightmare. But I discovered the trick. Instead of aiming at sitting for 20, 30 or 60 minutes doing meditation, I said to myself: "well, I'll try doing walking meditation instead". So the trick is to be mindful in the time periods you're doing routine tasks that you would otherwise be doing with some aversion. For example, to go to the university I walk a good distance and take the subway. So I use that period to do walking meditation and, when I'm still, in the subway, doing mindfulness of the breath.

Not only is this beneficial in itself, because I end up cultivating my mind, but it also has the wonderful side effect of me having the discipline to sit for 30 minutes doing samatha. It's a win-win situation: time is not wasted, I practice mindfulness and on top of that it's much more likely that I sit to do meditation.

Simple, huh? Try it! :smile:
Ben

Post by Ben »

A great result, MP!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Reductor wrote:Hey all,

I downloaded that insight timer app, then searched for dhammawheel; KB has already made a group, so join up.

And I'm just putting this pledge out there: I'm going to renew my daily meditation practice in the simplest way possible, by meditating each day for no fewer than 10 minutes a day. Of course, I hope to grow that into something larger. As it is, though, I'll settle for this modest goal.

:anjali:
Anumodana! I'm always so inspired by my brothers and sisters in the Dhamma! Good work! :heart:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

If I may encourage early practitioners: do not fret quantity of time meditating, but rather QUALITY of time spent practicing. If you are worried about how long you are meditating, you are completely missing the point!

With metta!

Zen

P.S. - Not a bad idea OP!