Loathesomeness of Food

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Freawaru
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby Freawaru » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Mike,

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Freawaru,
Freawaru wrote:But it is not about seeing things as they are - at least not in the way it is practiced. Feeding is an instinct. A positive instinct. Even our preference for sugar is instinctual. I think to watch instincts at work is an advanced level because they are very deep. To be just mindful of them would not require to see them as loathsome, nor would seeing them as they are. But that is just my idea of it. If you don't get eating disorders afterwards it is okay, I suppose.

Well, looking at our intentions ("instincts" if you like), is a key part of the teachings that I have had. (This is the standard Mahasi approach.) I think you're over-interpreting the word "loathsome". As I said, if you eat mindfully on a retreat you start to realise the drawbacks, including the way the nice food draws your mind to it, and the not so nice repels it, the amount of time it takes, the way it makes you feel sleepy afterwards, how you have to excrete it later, etc, etc. Perhaps "Tediousness of food" would be a better translation...

I might add that I have not done this as a "primary practise", just at mealtimes. Other times it's regular walking and sitting. If I were to use it as my primary meditation practise I'd want to have the guidance of a teacher.

Metta
Mike


I agree - this is a very good practice. As you know I like the Mahasi approach.

I would also include really tasting the food into this kind of practice. Buddhadasa Bhikkhu teaches this approach in "Practical Dependent Origination" (if I recall rightly it was this book of his). Though the Thais probably suffer less in this way - but our modern fast food cultures leads us to just gore it down without really tasting. To become aware of the sense gate "taste" one has to develop it - not to destroy it, right?

It is also interesting to observe the need of the body during different situations. When I am in stress I note an increase of desire for sugar and chocolate, during the winter (less sunshine) I notice a desire for fish, but less milk, And when I do a lot of sport I need food with more substance (always say no to chocolate then).

Freawaru

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 14812
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Greetings,

I don't recall this being mentioned in the topic to date and can't seem to find it online, but I have a few spare minutes, so I'll type it out.

SN 54.9: Vessali Sutta (Nanamoli translation)

The Blessed One was once living as Vesali in the Hall with the Pointed Roof in the Great Wood. It was an occasion when he had talked to the bhikkhus in many ways on contemplation of loathsomeness (in the body), commending contemplation on loathsomeness and the maintenance of it in being. Then he told the bhikkhus: "Bhikkhus, I wish to go into retreat for half a month. I am not to be approach by anyone except by him who brings me almsfood."

"Even so, Lord," they replied, and they did as they had been instructed.

Then those bhikkhus thought over what the Blessed One had said in commendation of contemplating the loathsomeness (of the body), and they dwelt devoted to the pursuit of maintaining in being that contemplation. So doing, they became humiliated, ashamed and disgusted with this body, and they sought the use of the knife (to take their lives). On a single day as many as ten, twenty or thirty bhikkhus used the knife.

At the end of the half month the Blessed One rose from retreat, and he addressed the venerable Ananda thus: "Ananda, why has the Sangha of bhikkhus become so thinned out?"

The venerable Ananda told him what had happened, and he added: "Lord, let the Blessed One announce another way for this Sangha of bhikkhus to find establishment in final knowledge."

"In that case, Ananda, summon as many bhikkhus as are living in the neighbourhood of Vesali to meet in the assembly hall."

The venerabler Ananda did so, and when they had met, he informed the Blessed One. The Blessed One then went to the assembly hall where he sat down on a seat made ready. When he had done so, he addressed the bhikkhus thus:

"Bhikkhus, when this mindfulness of breathing is maintained in being and developed, it offers peace and a superior goal, it is unadulterated (by loathsomeness) and a pleasant abiding, and it causes evil unwholesome mental objects to vanish as soon as they arise, just as when dirt and dust are blown about in the last month of the hot season, a great shower out of season makes them vanish at once as soon as they arise."

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

User avatar
pink_trike
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Contact:

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby pink_trike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:40 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I don't recall this being mentioned in the topic to date and can't seem to find it online, but I have a few spare minutes, so I'll type it out.

SN 54.9: Vessali Sutta (Nanamoli translation)

The Blessed One was once living as Vesali in the Hall with the Pointed Roof in the Great Wood. It was an occasion when he had talked to the bhikkhus in many ways on contemplation of loathsomeness (in the body), commending contemplation on loathsomeness and the maintenance of it in being. Then he told the bhikkhus: "Bhikkhus, I wish to go into retreat for half a month. I am not to be approach by anyone except by him who brings me almsfood."

"Even so, Lord," they replied, and they did as they had been instructed.

Then those bhikkhus thought over what the Blessed One had said in commendation of contemplating the loathsomeness (of the body), and they dwelt devoted to the pursuit of maintaining in being that contemplation. So doing, they became humiliated, ashamed and disgusted with this body, and they sought the use of the knife (to take their lives). On a single day as many as ten, twenty or thirty bhikkhus used the knife.

At the end of the half month the Blessed One rose from retreat, and he addressed the venerable Ananda thus: "Ananda, why has the Sangha of bhikkhus become so thinned out?"

The venerable Ananda told him what had happened, and he added: "Lord, let the Blessed One announce another way for this Sangha of bhikkhus to find establishment in final knowledge."

"In that case, Ananda, summon as many bhikkhus as are living in the neighbourhood of Vesali to meet in the assembly hall."

The venerabler Ananda did so, and when they had met, he informed the Blessed One. The Blessed One then went to the assembly hall where he sat down on a seat made ready. When he had done so, he addressed the bhikkhus thus:

"Bhikkhus, when this mindfulness of breathing is maintained in being and developed, it offers peace and a superior goal, it is unadulterated (by loathsomeness) and a pleasant abiding, and it causes evil unwholesome mental objects to vanish as soon as they arise, just as when dirt and dust are blown about in the last month of the hot season, a great shower out of season makes them vanish at once as soon as they arise."

Metta,
Retro. :)

What happened to the Buddha's "divine eye" that could supposedly see a perfect stranger's former and future lives? Why didn't he know what happened, and why didn't he foresee this mass suicide inspired by his teachings?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 14812
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:08 am

Greetings Pink Trike,

pink_trike wrote:What happened to the Buddha's "divine eye" that could supposedly see a perfect stranger's former and future lives? Why didn't he know what happened, and why didn't he foresee this mass suicide inspired by his teachings?


All good questions.

The Theravada tradition generally defines the degree of the Buddha's omniscience something along the lines of "he could know whatever he put his mind to knowing", so one could argue that if he'd known that he should have put his mind to knowing it, then he could have known it - but he didn't know he should, so he didn't put his mind to knowing it.

All things said and done, I think claims about the extent of the Buddha's omniscience are generally overblown, and the Theravadin claims are certainly at the more conservative end of the scale, with respect to the claims made by other traditions.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

User avatar
pink_trike
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Contact:

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby pink_trike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Pink Trike,

pink_trike wrote:What happened to the Buddha's "divine eye" that could supposedly see a perfect stranger's former and future lives? Why didn't he know what happened, and why didn't he foresee this mass suicide inspired by his teachings?

"he could know whatever he put his mind to knowing", so one could argue that if he'd known that he should have put his mind to knowing it, then he could have known it - but he didn't know he should, so he didn't put his mind to knowing it.

Sounds like an argument my neighbor's 14 year old would try to get away with when arguing with his mom about homework. :tongue:

Indeed, other traditions are bit more frothy with the divine eye bizness, but it clearly is in the suttras. Maybe he had a headache that day...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

User avatar
catmoon
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 am

So the validity of the sutta is taken as a given?

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 20080
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 am

catmoon wrote:So the validity of the sutta is taken as a given?

Why wouldn't it be?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

User avatar
catmoon
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 am

I can't go into that here. Except perhaps to mention Great Doubt.

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 20080
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am

catmoon wrote:I can't go into that here. Except perhaps to mention Great Doubt.

Given the nature and subject of the text, it would suggest that it reflects an actual event.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

User avatar
catmoon
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Loathesomeness of Food

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 pm

I'm sorry, I have about exhausted my limited ability to remain respectful and must now retire from the thread.
At least I'm doing better than the last time.

May wisdom be your guide and peace your path.


Return to “Theravada Meditation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests