YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

...now what...? - Dhamma Wheel

...now what...?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
ashtanga

...now what...?

Postby ashtanga » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 am

Hi all,

Apologies for the short title but it does sum up my question!

Once I have established some sense of concentration - by following the breath - I feel like I have dropped away much of the distractions I feel at the onset of the session. I seem to be in a warm, comfortable, off-sensation type of calm <that was a cumbersome description!>. But then as comfortable as it feels I am urged to 'do something' with this calm mind. I feel like I need/should use a Koan, or meditate on Emptiness or something. I guess I am unsure how such a calm can do anything to get me closer to an understanding of Emptiness or the nature of my mind....its just, well, nice! :shrug:

Any advice welcome as ever!

Tony...

cooran

Re: ...now what...?

Postby cooran » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 am

Hello ashtanga,

Who is your meditation teacher? What method do you follow - i.e. how and where do you watch the breath?
What is your intention in meditating?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:41 am

Hello Ashtanga,

I'm certainly no expert but I would submit that the mind is not nearly as calm as it would like you to believe given that it's still restlessly searching for something to play with. If you're practicing samatha (concentration/tranquility) meditation then I would be wary of this particularly insidious hindrance. Just my two cents. Be well.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:26 pm

ashtanga

Postby ashtanga » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks.

...where will deepening concentration take me (as it were)? I am not clear how concentration in itself can lead to an understanding or experience of the nature of things - ie Emptiness.

Tony...

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Tony,

In my limited understanding, right concentration is jhana which is both a pleasant abiding and serves to still the mind for the practice of insight which allows you to see that all phenomena are anicca, anatta and subject to dukkha. The goal is not the experience emptiness as such but to comprehend the nature of clinging and thereby be freed from it. I would be careful attempting to graft the soteriology of Vajrayana onto sutta-pitaka and commentarial tradition of the Theravada schools. Anyway I wish you all the best and that you encounter someone more knowledgeable than myself who can provide some answers to your questions. Be well.

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:16 pm

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:39 am

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”