Wisdom Resolutions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Wisdom Resolutions

Postby limbo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Browsing through Shankman's The Experience of Samadhi I came upon his interview with Jack Kornfield where they mention the topic of Wisdom Resolutions.

Jack Kornfield:
Once people have some stable capacity to enter and rest in jhana samadhi, I like to use wisdom resolutions. Instead of simply directing people to come out of the jhanas and notice the impermanence of the states, which is one traditional way to allow wisdom to arise, or to come out of the jhanas and notice the anicca, dukkha, anatta of whatever experience follows the jahana, which is simply shifting from jhana to deep mindfulness practice, I find wisdom resolutions to be strikingly helpful.

... The kind of wisdom resolutions I use are ways to deepen understanding of the key Dharma teachings, key elements of wisdom. I will instruct someone like this: "When you come out of jhana, whether second, third, or fourth, make the resolution 'May a deep insight into anicca arise.'"

Jack goes on to describe two instances from his practice where he has experienced insight due to such wisdom resolutions. I believe this is the first time I've heard of this kind of use for a resolution (I mostly see them used to "condition" mind before sitting) and it sounds like a pretty powerful practice while at the same time it feels a bit like cheating... What do you think? Has anyone had any experience with using resolutions to get insight in this manner?

Thanks,
Eran.
limbo

Return to Theravada Meditation